Not sure how to explain the sound problem I'm having

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how to explain the sound problem I'm having

**Posted this to the wrong forum section. Sorry guys! Would delete it but I'm not sure how **

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to describe the problem I'm having with my amp so that I can start googling and searching for a solution.

I have a Peavey XXX. From what I recall it sounded fine until one day I brought it to my friends house to jam. I plugged it in and started playing and we noticed a burning smell. The burning smell went away after a minute or two and hasn't happened since.

From then on, whenever I play a note that results in a lot of bass frequencies, such as palm-muting an open power chord, the sound isn't smooth. Its like it is choppy. I don't really know how else to explain it. It doesn't cut completely in and out... more like it is oscillating from quieter to louder really quickly. Besides that, the amp sounds okay. No problems with volume level, etc. Also verified that it isn't the cab, by plugging another amp into it.

Like I said, I'm more looking for someone to tell me "oh, I would look up 'oscillating bass frequencies' ", than to actually try to tell me what is wrong with it (although any suggestions would be appreciated). I haven't begun researching this yet because I don't know what to look for!

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Jamez0r; 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong section. Please delete.
Working...
X