Mystery Amp - Take a look and see if you can help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Amp - Take a look and see if you can help

Hi folks...I am shooting in the dark here, I have posted a similar request to a couple of other forums, but unfortunately all I hear is crickets. Must be a real stumper. So I came across this site during one of my forays into the dark recesses of Google's servers and I thought I would give it another shot.

I was recently given an old Hammond Organ Amp chassis without tubes that I intend to turn into a guitar amp with my son. The chassis itself looks very similar to an A100 AO-39 Power amp, same size and for the most part layout, however the circuit is completely different and is set up for octal output tubes that are cathode biased, instead of the 6BQ5's. I drew a schematic which I have posted here:

and a photo of the circuit side of the box here:

I have gone through every schematic that I can find on the net and I haven't really even come close. The best I can do is think that it could possibly be from maybe a Leslie tone cabinet, but even any of those are not the same. I have several questions that I really need to try and determine before I move forward, so it's kind of a shot in the dark that some of you may have seen one of these before. The date codes on the Transformers are 1960 and the pot is 1962, so obviously early 60's.

1) Is there a way to determine the PT and OT specifications from the old Hammond part numbers? Those p/n's are on the schematic above. I don't think so, but its worth trying.

2) Is there a way to determine the tube lineup? I assume its either 6V6 or 6L6 on the power and probably 12AX7/12AU7 on the PI. Also, any idea about the rectifier? I assume there its either a 5AR4 or 5U6 (does this really matter?). I have no way of knowing what the OT specs look like, so this is probably not gonna happen either.

3) Also, look at the power filtering on the schematic - it seems like a lot of filtering with the two pairs 100uF/300V Cap + 100k/2W tied together on either side of the 2K10W dropping resistor. Was this purely to get the capacitors up to 600V's at 50uF? This makes me wonder why so much filtering is required unless the plates are looking at some pretty high voltages which would imply maybe more power needed, leading to maybe the 6L6 scenario. This would give me an idea about how the PT can handle higher voltage requirements...I don't want to over juice the PT. What about figuring out the filament current output capabilities of the PT? Trial and error?

Along the lines of that, I marked both the schematic and the photo with letters that correspond to each other so it is easier to make out what is going on with the H+ power circuit side.

The circuit itself looks eerily similar to a Fender Tweed circuit with the cathode bias circuit, but with a NFB loop.

Key point here: I have calculated the OT turns ratio N=64, which gives me an impedance ratio of ~4000:1. With that, I can assume 6L6's are most likely out, and it is probably looking for 6V6's feeding a 2ohm speaker load. I don't have any speakers or cabs set up for a 2 ohm load...I guess 4x12's (at 8ohm ea.) all in parallel will get me there, but what I don't want to happen is to hook it up and have it be too low of a load, resulting in a fried OT.

Question for the experts: Were there many amps made back in the early 60's that were using 2ohm loads in push-pull with 6v6 or 6L6 tubes? That just seems awfully low and right on the cusp of being a short circuit.

Another consideration is I don't want to trash this thing by converting to a guitar amp if it is as rare as it seems and may actually be useful back inside an organ for someone that needs it. But if it isn't valuable, I think it will be a good project for my son to turn it into a tweed clone, he likes helping me work on amps and this would be something for him to work on over the summer.

So, if you can offer any thoughts - anything at all - I (and he) would be really grateful. I am just coming up with a big goose egg trying to find any information on this particular amp. If all else fails, I can start with the trial and error plan, but I prefer to know what I am dealing with if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Craig C
    Last edited by Csquare4; 05-28-2011, 02:47 AM.

My only thought is the cathode bias sounds like 6V6.
    2 ohm output is different.

Comment

The ubiquitous Tweed Bassman's are 2 ohms using 2 x 6L6's. The 250 ohm cathode resistor looks like 6v6 like JPB said. If you post a picture of the output transformer the physical size would tell us instantly whether it's 6l6 or 6v6.
      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        My only thought is the cathode bias sounds like 6V6.
        2 ohm output is different.
        Thanks JPB...I thought the 2 ohm a bit strange too, but who knows what kind of peaker configuration they had in an old Hammond. I guess 2x 4 ohms wouldn't be out of the question for back then.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
          The ubiquitous Tweed Bassman's are 2 ohms using 2 x 6L6's. The 250 ohm cathode resistor looks like 6v6 like JPB said. If you post a picture of the output transformer the physical size would tell us instantly whether it's 6l6 or 6v6.
          Easy enough. Here is one.

The dimensions of the OT are: 2.75(L) x 2.5(W w/ cover) x 2.25 (H)

Comment

Any reason to rule out 6550's (or 5881's)?
            Maybe these could help: Hammond & Leslie Tube Useage Charts
            Hammond schematics here and elsewhere on the Net
            Leslie amplifier schematics
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
              I didn't think about 6550's, I guess it could be...I see from the first link above the "Tube Usage Chart" that some of the Leslie Tone Cabs used those. I have been to both those sites and scoured every single schematic, nothing really even close besides a few Leslie cabs with 6L6's that I could find...that is what started me down that path to begin with. Obviously there are quite a few holes in the schematic lists there, so its probably one of the "less popular" chassis. I have been in touch with Lars, "captain foldback" and he was pretty much clueless as to this particular amp.

I am thinking still that it is looking for 6V6's, just kind of the law of probability considering how many had them vs. the larger tubes. Once I get my capacitors changed out, I will put in a 5U4GB I have, add some power to it and try to map out the B+ voltages to see what that looks like.

Craig
              Last edited by Csquare4; 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

That really seems to be a 6v6 transformer, around 15 watts.

The sockets are probably too close together to acommodate 6550's.
                Last edited by jmaf; 05-27-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: had typed 6650 tube
                Valvulados

Comment

That really seems to be a 6v6 transformer, around 15 watts.

The sockets are probably too close together to acommodate 6550's.
                  They are 2 1/8" on center as far as spacing goes, probably right.

Comment

As you mentioned, the series stacked filter caps (600Volts worth) imply a fairly high B+. I can't imagine it was cheaper to go with two 300volt caps in series rather than a single 450 or 500V so they probably wanted 600V rating.
                    The reason I mentioned the 6550's is that in the tube usage link, almost all the models that show 6V6 use 4 of them (except 50C). Most of the models with 2 output tubes are 6550.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Why do any specifics about this particular chassis even matter. Not being a dick, really. It's just that in order to make this thing into a guitar amp you'll need to change the input circuit, add at least 1 12xx tube with it's own circuit and adjacent tone/volume controls, you'll probably want to change the PI to a long tailed pair type and all the old electrolytoc capacitors will almost certainly need to be replaced, many of which you won't find exact replacements for so some retrofitting will be needed. May as well change the power supply to a more typical guitar amp design then. So...

All that really matters is the quality, condition and actual measured specs for the transformers and tube sockets. Measuring the transformers is something you'll need to do without a schematic or tube chart. It's the only way to know what tubes and speaker load will be most appropriate. After that you can build the thing into whatever amp you want to that uses those tubes and similar voltages.

JM2C
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Csquare4 View Post
                        They are 2 1/8" on center as far as spacing goes, probably right.
                        You'd be looking for something around 4"(100mm) between socket centers for anyone in the kt88/6550 family. 3" or 75mm for 6L6GC and EL34. 2 1/8 is more likely to be a small straight bottle, in which case a 6v6 would seem right.

As Chuck H said, that amp requires a full revamp to become a instrument amp anyway so we're likely just chasing ants here.
                        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Why do any specifics about this particular chassis even matter. Not being a dick, really. It's just that in order to make this thing into a guitar amp you'll need to change the input circuit, add at least 1 12xx tube with it's own circuit and adjacent tone/volume controls, you'll probably want to change the PI to a long tailed pair type and all the old electrolytoc capacitors will almost certainly need to be replaced, many of which you won't find exact replacements for so some retrofitting will be needed. May as well change the power supply to a more typical guitar amp design then. So...

All that really matters is the quality, condition and actual measured specs for the transformers and tube sockets. Measuring the transformers is something you'll need to do without a schematic or tube chart. It's the only way to know what tubes and speaker load will be most appropriate. After that you can build the thing into whatever amp you want to that uses those tubes and similar voltages.

JM2C
                          You'd be looking for something around 4"(100mm) between socket centers for anyone in the kt88/6550 family. 3" or 75mm for 6L6GC and EL34. 2 1/8 is more likely to be a small straight bottle, in which case a 6v6 would seem right.

As Chuck H said, that amp requires a full revamp to become a instrument amp anyway so we're likely just chasing ants here.
                          Well, I kind of agree with you both, but not completely. Hammond engineers made some pretty jam-up power amp circuits, I have used several of their amps to make extremely good and very unique sounding guitar amps in the past. Based on what I can tell about this circuit so far, I think by adding a 12AX7 pre with a Tweed tone stack I will be able to use about 95% of the circuit that the Hammond engineers created in the first place. I will at least try...if it sounds like crap, I can always work my way through where I need to make adjustments. I am not going to scrap the entire circuit, that is what makes these things unique. There is gold in some of these circuits, especially using as much of the stock components as possible. It may not be Leo's gold, but it is still gold.

Comment

+1
                            A couple of concessions though... You might consider adding grid stop resistors and screen grid resistors to the power tubes. The grid stops help prevent oscillations. Since the amp was never intended to be driven to full clip as it was they probably weren't needed, but now... And the screen grid resistors are just a good idea. They will help keep the operating conditions stable when the amp is overdriven. Also, on your schem there's a 50R 5W resistor between the rectifier and the main filter (which is 50uf). 5W is too small (but indicative that the amp probably used 6V6's) and considering the care current builders take to observe the sensitivities of modern rectifier tubes you may want to move that dropping resistor to the PT CTR and up it's rating to 10W.

The only other thing I would add is that I wouldn't even bother to test any of electrolytic caps in that amp. I would just replace them all. Testing them is useless because you can't know how they'll behave under the actual stresses in the amp and any you leave in there are on borrowed time and could take out other components if they fail.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Mystery Solved! Thanks for all the help everyone.

I decided to paint the chassis because it really wasn't in the best shape. So as I was preparing it for paint, I decided to steel wool the outside and get some of the corrosion off, as well as the silver can capacitors - which I will leave in place (unused of course). Imagine my surprise when I noticed buried under all the scuz was the actual tube markings. I like those kinds of surprises.

6L6 Power Tubes
                              5U4 Rectifier
                              12AX7 PI

I also had an 4/8 Ohm Output transformer that I had off another old organ amp with an 8k primary, so I thought this might work well with the 6L6's. I had to cut the chassis to get it to work, but no problem.

I went ahead and cleaned it up and painted the chassis and transformers. Here is the chassis ready with all the hardware mounted, ready to wire it up...since the unit is 6L6 capable, I am going for a pseudo Fender Tweed Super, with a LarMar Master Volume and a gain channel to add a little bit of crunch. Here is the interior before wiring it up. There is not enough room for a board in there, so I will likely do as much as I can point-to-point.

Again, thanks for all the help folks. I really appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X