Anyone Know Who Said This? Minibucker Split Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know Who Said This? Minibucker Split Content

I just want to comment on the internal workings of a Firebird pup.

They have two magnets - not one shared magnet like the mini humbucker - or full size HB -

Because they have a coil going around the magnet - they are very reminiscent of those early Blues pickups found in the Kay's- Harmony's and Magnatone's. where all you have is a coil wrapped right around a long rectangular bar magnet - I have found that these designs are really fast becoming the more popular designs with the Blues Purist Regime out there -

So inside the Firebird's metal cover are basically two of these early designs with the magnets stood up so its skinny end is up and the flatter 1/2 wide sides are facing the coil - making them a cross between the Charlie Christian Blade & the H-44 Harmonys - ( Strat0tones) - now theres not much room for wire so these Firebirds usually reach about 6.5 or maybe sneak it up to a 7k if they are wound nice an neat...

so inside the cover is two really cool Bluesy pickups - one has its magnets reversed from the other so it "hum-bucks" -

now most of the Kay's - Harmony's - Magnatone's were 3.2k to 4k
    so heres these Firebird's really BEGGING to be put on a split switch - and wolla- you'll have a 3.2k to 3.5k single coil bluesy pup from the tone Gods!

because inside are two of the coolest little blues designs ever made!
    and splitting them will give you "that Sound" when you want it..

Big Road Blues Discussion Forums • View topic - mini humbuckers

Further, has anyone done it? I have an SM3 that looks like a good candidate.

EG

We've talked about the Firebird pickups here before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	820843Click image for larger version

Name:	mini2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	820842

All humbuckers are two single coils. The blade magnets do give a brighter tone than steel poles.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      We've talked about the Firebird pickups here before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14021[/ATTACH]

All humbuckers are two single coils. The blade magnets do give a brighter tone than steel poles.
      Yeah, I just hate uncredited quotes. Was curious as whether the information was accurate about how they sound.
      Only one way to find out...

EG

Comment

Splitting a Mini bucker.
        There's not a lot there to split.
        It's hard to get more that 6-6.4k DCR on a Mini.
        The firebird mini is brighter than the Les Paul Deluxe Mini.
        Here's a clip of a firebird in action.
        YouTube - ‪Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy‬‏
        Mr. Steve Winwood, at his finest.
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X