Sovtek MIG-50 pots not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek MIG-50 pots not working properly

I'm new to this forum and this seemed like a good place for advice. I have a Sovtek MIG-50, the non-master volume model, and while I was playing it today, there was a spike in volume. I turned Volume I all the way down and it still sounded like it was cranked up. I took the chicken head knob off and found that if I push the shaft of the pot back it works just fine.
    I have a feeling that I may have to have the pots replace, if that is the course of action, about how much would it cost me to have someone replace all the pots?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Why replace all of them?
    If the one pot is dodgy, that is the one that needs replacing.
    As to cost, that depends on complexity. ( I have not worked on one)
    If the whole preamp board has to come out, maybe an hour right there.
    Replace (locate a replacement) the pot, put it back together, test it.
    I would say three hours, minimum.

Comment

True, I was thinking of getting all of the pots replaced as a proactive solution. I have read that the pots on Sovteks are not exactly the best, and it is common for people to get them replaced.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've worked on one. As I recall, pots were available from New Sensor, but were the same crappy ones that you're replacing now, and yes a weird nonstandard shaft size.

It's possible to replace with more normal pots, which also means replacing the knobs.

How deep you want to go depends on what you see as your future with the amp.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I am ok with replacing the knobs, the chicken heads and a pain to remove when cleaning it. I really like this amp, so I'm willing to spend some money on it.
          Is replacing the pots something I could do on my own, with a little time and effort?

Comment

Yeah, it's doable.
            The trick is finding drop in repacements.
            The values are usually written on the pot somewhere.

Comment

Where can I find pots for amps, is there a one-stop-shop kind of deal for amplifier parts?

Comment

Here's one place:

Antique Electronic Supply
                Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

And if it's anything like my Sovtek, I would also replace the jacks, switches, and fuse-holders.
                  Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

I think the jacks may have been replaced at one point, I was also thinking about replacing the switches.

Comment

My switches had never failed, but I'd heard that those were troublesome, and replaced them while I was in there. The jacks had started failing, so those all got replaced with good ol' Switchcraft jacks. I'm so much more confident in this rig now. (Bassov Blues Boy bass head--great bass amp!)

Comment

Out of curiosity, which pots did you use? I'm new to working on amps.

Comment

Have you had this chassis out of the cabinet yet?
                          You are in for thrill when you see how the pots are mounted and what it is going to take to replace them with a modern and alternate pot assembly... which you should do so you might never have to do it a gain.
                          Bruce

Mission Amps
                          Denver, CO. 80022
                          www.missionamps.com
                          303-955-2412

Comment

My plan is to take the chasis out later today.

Comment

I took the chasis out, I do not like how the pots are mounted.

Comment

Working...
                              X