Traynor YBA-3: voltages all look good, but low output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YBA-3: voltages all look good, but low output

I've got a YBA-3 that's putting out really low power - 2VAC at the speaker. All voltages check out with the schematic, and a 1k sine wave test signal looks good at the grids of the power tubes, but is small and squashed at the output.

My intuition tells me that it's gotta be between the phase inverter and the speaker jack. I tried new tubes, but got the same results. Could it be the OT? Or am I missing something. Thanks for any advice.

P.S. for some reason the amp had a 12DW7 in the PI in stead of a 12AX7!

Awesome. Found the solution in an old thread where the (amazing) Enzo suggested the surge limiting components across the primaries. Funny, my inclination was right - that it was between the power tubes and the speaker - but I failed to notice (both in the amp and schematic) those two pesky components. Hopefully this can at least help someone else. And thanks Enzo!

Comment

Can you post a link to said Enzo post?

Comment

This one? http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14065/
        Seems to be fairly common fault in old Traynors that had them. Probably best to remove them if you come across them. Some folks may want to use the diode scheme instead. The factory never used to suggest replacing them with something else, just removal.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That's the one. Yeah, I just pulled the suckers out. Here's the schem (because there's a few different models) Prowess Amplifiers - Traynor - Schematics - Custom Special Yba 3 - Version 3
          This one's a bit better for bass than the one that's almost identical to a Plexi.

Comment

Working...
          X