Fostex B16 capstan belt source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fostex B16 capstan belt source?

Anyone know where I can find a replacement capstan drive belt for the B16? Poking around on the net hasn't turned up anything.

A local studio that I do the machine maintenance for has one that is due for belt replacement.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

I used to see tons of them, but I haven't laid eyes on a Fostex in years. What's a B16, and what sort of belt is it? (dimensions)

Oh wait, I remember the B-16, used to be a sturio in FLint brought theirs down to me all teh time for calibration and service. I could even have one of those belts - it would be old stock. WHat is width and circumference?

MCM still lists a lot of belts, in charts by size.

Google "tape recorder belts" for a number of other options.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi

Did you manage to find a belt for the B16? Or even it's dimensions?

Cheers

Comment

Nope....not sure where to go with it at this time.

Comment

Ahem...

I could even have one of those belts - it would be old stock. WHat is width and circumference?

I still have belts, and some were for FOSTEX mocels, including that one. I may have it.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Have a look kind sir if you would. I still need one to get a local studio cat's machine back up.

Comment

Have you opened it to verify it being an older B16, because most of the later decks were were B16D models which have a DC servo direct drive capstan.
              I am really surprised a working studio is using a 2 head deck when 3 head are so cheap and much better suited to studio work due to ease of set up an alignment to project tapes. A 2 head machine is very hard to set up when an old project is resumed or when flux density is changed for a project. A decent 3 head machine, with suitable MRL cal tape can be aligned in 10 minutes to match an existing project. A two head machine is not worth changing, it will never match bias and eq of existing projects. Tell them to invest in a nice studio grade deck from the early 80s like a Model 80 Studer or Otari 2" or a higher end home studio deck like a 1 inch Tascam MS16. They are very cheap right now, less than the cost of a B16 rebuild. They will have something that can recreate that analog sound the customers what from classic recordings of the 70s and 80s.
              Studio decks are easier to use, align, maintain, more reliable, faster for locating, and get the sound they really want

Comment

The reason they don;t get a different deck is that they already have this one.

The B-16 was a pretty nice deck in its day, for a small studio situation.

GTR, can you feed me the dimensions of the belt, I don;t know it by sight, and have several that would be similar but wrong. I know it is a flat wide belt, and not probably more that 16" circum. If I have one, it's yours. The service manual just gives a part number.

Comment

The machine needs to be brought back into service to access material originally recorded on it.

Comment

Ok, I'll try to get out there sometime and get some info.

Comment

Is this Houser's deck?

I have several candidates in the drawer:
                      1/4 x 13.5"
                      .3 x 22" (doubt it)
                      5/16 x 14.75"
                      5/16 x 13.25" - I think it is this one. I have several in a bag.

In fact, why don;t you just PM me your mailing address. I;ll send a couple. Might save an extra trip to the deck. Merry Xmas.

Comment

Yep.....its Hawkman's machine. He's just around the corner from me so lemme stop in and pull the back off it to verify length and such first. I gotta pay him a visit soon anyway....

Comment

Is Hawkman still in business? I recorded there in like 89 or 90!

Comment

Working...
                          X