Class AB2: $5, .5 hr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthur,

I have to admit, I completely mis-read the Isodyne schematic the first time around - I concentrated on the two left-most triodes, seeing the two right-side ones as push-pull outputs, for some reason - maybe because of the bias control, or more likely just losing it, I guess. This is kinda-sorta a "buffered Schmitt w/local NFB".

The Isodyne could work great for power-grid drive IMO, but it would have to be modified for direct-coupling to the output tube grids. The existing positive bias supply would have to be changed to a low-Z negative one and run to the PI and CF Rk's as well as the bias control, and the 300V PI and 400V CF B+ reduced - the ultimate goal being a correct negative bias voltage at the CF cathodes/output grids, along with low-impedance positive-swing drive provided by suitable (i.e., non-12AX7) relatively hot-biased CF stages. If one was going to all this trouble, the CF's could be eliminated completely and a low-rp PI tube (w/suitable Rp value - ideally less than 5K) used to drive the output grids directly, in a straight-ahead Schmitt or PI/diff amp configuration.

Ray

Comment

Could this be a cure for the loose bottom end on blackface fenders? I find it daunting often to get a tight sound out of my super reverb without thinning down the bass too much.

Comment

Could this be a cure for the loose bottom end on blackface fenders? I find it daunting often to get a tight sound out of my super reverb without thinning down the bass too much.

Yes - I assume you mean the Zener mod (the AB2 circuit would also work, but the Zener thing's so much easier to do). In my testing I used .47uF coupling caps from the PI to the output grids, and I'm sure I could have gone a lot bigger than that. In AB1 these big caps seem like ridiculous overkill - 12Hz F3, who needs to go that low? - but when the grids conduct you're looking at more like 180Hz for F3, inside the NFB loop (where a reduction in bass is a reduction of bass NFB and apparent damping factor, with corresponding reduced control of speaker-cone motion).

Bigger coupling caps + Zener mod = more/tighter bass when the power amp's working hard.

Ray

Comment

Huh, guys! I've tried to follow, but with my limited knowlege, i haven't understood much.

There's one thing i'm thinking tho, isn't an interstage transformer/spliter the easiest solution?

Bye.

Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ivers View Post
            The Isodyne could work great for power-grid drive IMO, but it would have to be modified for direct-coupling to the output tube grids. The existing positive bias supply would have to be changed to a low-Z negative one and run to the PI and CF Rk's as well as the bias control, and the 300V PI and 400V CF B+ reduced - the ultimate goal being a correct negative bias voltage at the CF cathodes/output grids, along with low-impedance positive-swing drive provided by suitable (i.e., non-12AX7) relatively hot-biased CF stages. If one was going to all this trouble, the CF's could be eliminated completely and a low-rp PI tube (w/suitable Rp value - ideally less than 5K) used to drive the output grids directly, in a straight-ahead Schmitt or PI/diff amp configuration.

Ray
            Could you give the isodyne it's own floating supply and then use a variable voltage reference to bias it?

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
            Huh, guys! I've tried to follow, but with my limited knowlege, i haven't understood much.

There's one thing i'm thinking tho, isn't an interstage transformer/spliter the easiest solution?

Bye.

Max.
            The next question would be "what's the driver?"
            Last edited by Arthur B.; 08-11-2006, 02:19 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur B. View Post
              Could you give the isodyne it's on floating supply and then use a variable voltage reference to bias it?

The next question would be what's the driver?

I like the way fender did it on the PS400. 6L6 and interstage transformer/spliter.
              There's another weird one, teh SMF tour series from sound city, i've never understood why an EL34 phase spliter with caps afterwards! Weird!

Bye.

Max. Ray, sorry to hijack!

Comment

Arthur,

Could you give the isodyne it's own floating supply and then use a variable voltage reference to bias it?
                Yes, absolutely - the floating supply is pretty much what I meant to describe (in my long-winded way), and the VVR should make an excellent bias supply.

The Isodyne's a really nice PI/driver setup - IMO it would also make a great (cathode-)driver for a P-P/P-P xfmr - and if the 4-gain-stage requirement is a problem the CF duties can always be performed by MOSFET's.

Ray

Comment

Max,

Hey, everybody hijacks from time to time...

Yes, it really is - one gain stage, a few associated components, a transformer, and you're done. As Arthur pointed out, though, it's gotta be the right type of gain stage for the job to work well, and there's also the power-supply thing to work out too.

I like the way fender did it on the PS400. 6L6 and interstage transformer/spliter.
                  ...and the 300PS uses a 6V6 and IT - still pretty beefy!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                    There's another weird one, teh SMF tour series from sound city, i've never understood why an EL34 phase spliter with caps afterwards! Weird!

Bye.

Max. Ray, sorry to hijack!
                    http://www.schematicheaven.com/barga...y_smf_tour.pdf

Seems like a self split EL34 amplifier for the PI.
                    Last edited by Arthur B.; 08-11-2006, 02:23 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors.

Comment

Arthur,

The SMF PI/driver looks to me like like a self-biased LTP using two EL34's as the gain stages. IMO they must have been positively awash in EL34's and octal sockets to do it like this, as I really can't see any benefit the EL34's add; the PI component values and B+ would have worked fine with EL84's, or even a 12AT7! If only they had spent the transformer budget on a good driver unit rather than that balanced out... or that super-weird totem-pole distortion circuit... which might sound OK, for all I know...

Ray

Comment

Arthur,

The SMF PI/driver looks to me like like a self-biased LTP using two EL34's as the gain stages. IMO they must have been positively awash in EL34's and octal sockets to do it like this, as I really can't see any benefit the EL34's add; the PI component values and B+ would have worked fine with EL84's, or even a 12AT7!
                        I think they were trying to pry the grids positive through brute force.

If only they had spent the transformer budget on a good driver unit rather than that balanced out... or that super-weird totem-pole distortion circuit... which might sound OK, for all I know...

Ray
                        I don't see a totem pole circuit anywhere. The distortion circuit seems to consist of a gain stage casccading into a concertina cascading into two more gain stages which drive the transformer primary.

Comment

Ray, I finally got to try the Zener mod at the second stage preamp of my Dumble clone. Looking at the scope wavefrom I determined that a good starting Vz was 6.3 volts, and this stage was the best candidate. I didn't have any 1N4001 - 1N4007s but a fast recovery 1N4936 would do the trick. After installing, the two diodes, the slightly gritty tones at higher volumes disappeared and more of a singing tone resulted. This clamped the higher F transients, although based on the waveforms alone, it could be further improved. Stores were closed on Sun so I'll try a lower Vz's 4.7, 3.9, etc. and report back. Thanks for posting this mod!

Comment

Bob,

Most excellent! I was hoping it would work well on preamp tubes, too.

Ray

Comment

Ray, It seems the 6.3 Vz was the best out of smaller 4.7, 3.9, and larger, 9, 12 zeners. This ckt was also tried at the the 3 previous stages w/o any tone improvement, so am satisfied with this mod at OD2 on my dumble clone. This is exactly the ckt I need to help remove the grit tone in the OD channel of my peavey (sorry) classic 30. thanks for your help.

Comment

I should have mentioned, you won't hear the zenering effect until you have the amp cranked above normal bedroom volume. Using too low a value of zener in this circuit can cut too much off the top end, so either increase the value or add a series resistor to smooth the zener effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X