P-13 rewind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-13 rewind

I dont know if anyone will find any use in the post, but here it is.

One of my employees asked me to re-wind his old 40's Gibson P-13 pickup. It was in real bad shape. Someone had tried to rewind it with about 200 turns of 30 gauge wire :< The flatwork was warped all beyond repair. Luckily I had the exact same super thin forbon that I use in accoustic guitar construction so I made new flatwork and impregnated it with thin crazy glue. Looks like a million bucks to me! (only two hours to make one bobbin :/). I had to tape it on the headstock and tailstock to keep the wire from getting caught on the edge but it worked like a charm. threw on 10500 turns of 42PE and voila! The video is of one of my three winding machines (Bachi 115's) with the heanium tensioning system and tension gauge. I love looking at different coil winding machines so I thought I might share mine for you to look at.

bel.

Here's a couple of photos of the pickup and the new bobbin before it was wound
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that! I love watching machinery work and winders are even better. So smooth it makes me want to get one.

Interesting rewind. I can see how that super thin flatwork must have been a bear to keep tamed. Did it all work out the first time or did it take a few tries? Any pics of the bobbin after winding?
      Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Very cool. Nice work.

Comment

Boy, that winder really flies. How many rpms was that, about 3000? and if you wouldn't mind, why PE and not SPN? Because it was probably what Gibson would have used at the time?

Thanks again, posts like that one really make this site!
          making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
            Did it all work out the first time or did it take a few tries? Any pics of the bobbin after winding?
            I havent wired it up yet, but the completed bobbin looks great. Unless there is a short everything will be perfect. I'll probably pot it just to hold the thing together - I normally dont pot anything. I'll post some pictures later of the completed unit

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
              Boy, that winder really flies. How many rpms was that, about 3000? and if you wouldn't mind, why PE and not SPN? Because it was probably what Gibson would have used at the time?

Thanks again, posts like that one really make this site!
              The winder can actually go up to 10000rpm, but I wind somwhere around 1000-1500 ish. The machine in the background is from 1963 and the speed has to be adjusted with belts and pulleys. The winder I used for this is the same winder but from 1983 and has a knob to adjust the roation speed... but the gear mechanism for the traverse is exactly the same and the parts are interchangable with the unit from 1963.

I only wind with PE - for a few reason.... 1) I dont want to stock multiple wires 2) I'm used to working with it 3) The fumes make me as high as a kite :/ 4) Yeah, its vintage accurate

Comment

Nice winder Matt! Couldn't they put the counter on straight though?

The bobbin looked great too.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                X