No announcement yet.

Wanting to build a bass amp from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the "#(number)" over on the upper right corner should link to the indiv. post (for example for your post, it would be the "#60" there).

Comment

I think the forum software gives every member a personal blog. And if you're logged in, every post should have a "Blog this post" button. Seems like that should stick a link to the post onto your blog, where you can show it to other people, or save the links up for your own use.

I agree with Dr. Decibel, the equipment can tell you how the speaker measures, but the link between measurements and subjective sound impressions is probably not well understood in the musical instrument field. It's a bit easier in hi-fi where you at least have the ideal of a flat frequency response and well-damped time response. But quite a few hi-fi speaker designers tune their creations by ear anyway.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
        That is some impressive stuff right there, JM. Congrats and thanks for sharing that bit of behind the scenes work there

(Off Topic)
        Edit: I wish there was a way to bookmark specific posts on this forum so that I can have a compilation later. Is there a way? I'd like to save this Fahey post, also a recent RG post on bias and some others which are definitely reference work.

It'd be nice to have a zeitgeist of this forum to go back to and share around on the WWW as in "click here and read all there is to know about X or Y".

Pardon if it's there and I just didn't see it, if it is please somebody tell me how to do it, thanks.
        I used to just copy certain threads from the old Ampage forum and paste them into a Word doc. I have a folder in My Documents for Ampage threads where I saved them. I still go back and pull certain threads up to review from time to time to remind myself of the advice given at the time. Some good stuff, wish I would have saved more of them, though a lot are stil available in the archives, but I find that difficult to use.

Steve Ahola used to do something similar and post the threads on his The Blue Guitar website.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
          One comment about the 2x12 thing. In the early 60's, the Blackface Fender Bassman had a 2x12 (non-ported) cabinet. It was miserable. The tone was ok, but no volume. The Ampeg B15 was just as loud and it was only half the power. A Dual Showman worked better for bass. This situation gave birth to the Sunn 60W 2x15.
          Yes, Iī, quite aware of that, and I remember them.
          In fact a customer has a mint condition white (or very light cream) Tolex blackface Bassman, with the tilt-back 2x12" original cabinet, he claims itīs '63 or thereabouts.
          Those amps had a very "light" 12" speaker, a couple C12Q or its Oxford equivalent.
          As you say, good tone but very inefficient.
          The relatively shallow closed cabinet didnīt help either.
          The Dual Showman had two JBLīs .
          Tha diameter was important , sure, but the *huge* magnet and 4" edgewound voice coil meant easily 6 to 9dB louder acoustic output .... couple that to a true 100W power stage, SS rectified, and there is no comparison possible.
          Donīt know what speaker did the B15N carry, but it was probably a "good" Jensen, with an "N" voice coil and magnet.
          The cabinet was a bass reflex too.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
            I used to just copy certain threads from the old Ampage forum and paste them into a Word doc. I have a folder in My Documents for Ampage threads where I saved them. I still go back and pull certain threads up to review from time to time to remind myself of the advice given at the time. Some good stuff, wish I would have saved more of them, though a lot are stil available in the archives, but I find that difficult to use.

Steve Ahola used to do something similar and post the threads on his The Blue Guitar website.
            Yeah, that is what I'm trying to do, but within the forum software....a collage of special posts of sorts. I'll try what Steve Conner suggested. Thanks for that.
            Valvulados

Comment

Well, if my 813 project does not happen to work out for bass, it should be a really good fit for steel guitar...
              Loud and clean...

-g

Comment

Working...
              X