New Issue 6L6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Issue 6L6

What do you think the best New Issue 6l6 tube is for under $50 a Matched Pair.
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

For me, it's the TungSol 6L6STR. They sound great, the reliability seems pretty good and are readily-available. I think that New Sensor/Reflektor did a pretty good job with resissuing these.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
      For me, it's the TungSol 6L6STR. They sound great, the reliability seems pretty good and are readily-available. I think that New Sensor/Reflektor did a pretty good job with resissuing these.
      Are these pretty rich in Tone and Harmonics.
      Have you tried the EH 6l6EH?
      They are supposed to built on the RCA Black Plate.
      I just love the Tungsol 12AX7s.
      So if the Tungsol 6L6s are as good as the 12AX7s, I will probably buy some.
      Thanks,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

We use a lot of the 6L6EH's here as replacements. They do sound pretty good, but they aren't RCA BP's by any strectch of the imagination, and the plate structure doesn't look like them either.

The TungSol 6L6's are excellent. A bit edgy at first, but tend to smooth out a bit as they break-in. In this case, they DID reproduce the plate structure and bottle size of the original TungSol's.

If you are looking for the real deal, KCA NOS Tubes stocks Philips JAN-6L6WGB at $46.00 each, $92.00 for a matched pair. They have a really smooth tone and break-up fairly easily. I know this is twice what you wanted to spend, but a pair of the NOS USA Mil-Spec tubes will probably outlast the reissue TungSol's several times over.

Despite the best efforts by Russian tube factories, they still can't seem to make power tubes that do not develop premature screen grid failure. That's my main complaint. You can counter this somewhat by doubling the value of the screen grid resistors in the amp to limit screen current. Doesn't really affect the sound or response of the amp, but does lengthen tube life in my own experience. I do this mod to all workhorse amps that come through, e.g. from rehearsal studios, tours, etc. With vintage amps, I try and talk the customer into the real deal, i.e. NOS power tubes.
        John R. Frondelli

Comment

Despite the best efforts by Russian tube factories, they still can't seem to make power tubes that do not develop premature screen grid failure. That's my main complaint. You can counter this somewhat by doubling the value of the screen grid resistors in the amp to limit screen current. Doesn't really affect the sound or response of the amp, but does lengthen tube life in my own experience. I do this mod to all workhorse amps that come through, e.g. from rehearsal studios, tours, etc. With vintage amps, I try and talk the customer into the real deal, i.e. NOS power tubes.
          To be clear you would replace the 5 Watt 470s for say 5 Watt 1k Screen Resistors for a 6L6 Circuit?
          Thanks for sharing some of Your experience and Amp Knowledge!
          Terry
          Terry

Comment

That's exactly what I do, although older Fender's use 2W carbon comps. I break tradition here and go with 5W wirewound "bathtub" resistors. On EL34 amps e.g. Marshall, the value I use is 2.2K. EL34's in particular don't need any help to self-destruct!

If you fold each lead under the resistor and then make a downward bend about 1/8" in from the sides, then cut the leads to 1/2" and make a 3/16" hook bend in the end to insert into the hole in the tube socket, these will fit any Fender amp 100% of the time.
            John R. Frondelli

Comment

We use a lot of the 6L6EH's here as replacements. They do sound pretty good, but they aren't RCA BP's by any strectch of the imagination, and the plate structure doesn't look like them either.
              These are actually Sovtec 6L6WXT+!
              sigpicCharlieP
              (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
              Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
              Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
              Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
              Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
              Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
              Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
                These are actually Sovtec 6L6WXT+!
                Not according to Tube Depot.
                It's the new and improved version.
                They are both made by New Sensor Corp.
                Electro-Harmonix 6L6 EH
                Terry
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Not according to Tube Depot.
                  It's the new and improved version.
                  They are both made by New Sensor Corp.
                  Electro-Harmonix 6L6 EH
                  Terry
                  I have both and they look identical to me in every way! You can't convince me any different. If it looks like a Duck and walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck!
                  sigpicCharlieP
                  (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
                  Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
                    I have both and they look identical to me in every way! You can't convince me any different. If it looks like a Duck and walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck!
                    I have a Pair of the Sovtek 6l6wxt+ that are over 3 years old and they still sound great.
                    I have played them everyday in my Traynor Amp.
                    If you have both, do they sound the same?
                    The Sovtek's are cheaper.
                    Sovtek 6L6WXT+
                    Terry
                    I stand, Corrected!
                    Terry

Comment

They sound very similar. I like the EH a slight bit better but that may be a different rated tube.
                      sigpicCharlieP
                      (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
                      Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

How could they be rated different, if they are the same?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

"Looking the same" & "being the same" are not the same thing. Both look the same as the Sovtek5881WXT, but that and the EH6L6 are very different sonically to that tube.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            How could they be rated different, if they are the same?
                            T
                            Different rating for breakup different bias point, all EH or any tube are not matched so there are differences within the tubes as they are being constructed. I don't know how you think they all are exactly alike! They are then tested and matched as needed.
                            sigpicCharlieP
                            (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
                            Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

hey all,

So what would you all consider the best sounding new 6L6 with the highest headroom?

Also the best sounding 12AX7 for Fender amps?

Thanks

Slo

Comment

Working...
                              X