No announcement yet.

New Issue 6L6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the TAD 6L6WGC-STR, others like the SED Winged - C which I have never tried. I also like TAD 7025 Highgrade for V1 Sovtek 12ax7 LPS for the PI but prefer the old RCA and Mullard tubes!
    sigpicCharlieP
    (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
    Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
    Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
    Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
    Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
    Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
    Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
      I like the TAD 6L6WGC-STR, others like the SED Winged - C which I have never tried. I also like TAD 7025 Highgrade for V1 Sovtek 12ax7 LPS for the PI but prefer the old RCA and Mullard tubes!
      The TADs are BorderLine, and the Winged Cs are Definitely over my $50 Range.
      IMO I would spend a C-Note and by the NOS JANs before I would spend that much on the Winged Cs.

Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
        So what would you all consider the best sounding new 6L6 with the highest headroom?

Also the best sounding 12AX7 for Fender amps?
        The "best tube" question comes up frequently, but how do you answer it? It depends on your particular amp, your guitar, your playing style, and what kind of sound you want. For some people, the best sounding 6L6 might not be the one with the highest headroom.

Just this week, I had a client who needed new preamp/driver tubes in his Fender amp, so I brought him a variety pack. He played, and I swapped tubes. He selected the Chinese 12AX7B for V1 & V2, a JJ ECC803S for V4, and a GE 5751 for the phase inverter. He played a show in Florida last night and called me this afternoon to tell me how great his amp sounded. I reminded him that *he* was the one who picked the winners, not me. My only advice was to tell him to pick the ones that got him the sound he wanted with the least effort.

In the end, I don't think that there's any substitute for plugging in tubes and listening for system synergy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
          The "best tube" question comes up frequently, but how do you answer it? ...
          Just this week, I had a client who needed new preamp/driver tubes in his Fender amp, so I brought him a variety pack. He played, and I swapped tubes. He selected the Chinese 12AX7B for V1 & V2, ...
          In the end, I don't think that there's any substitute for plugging in tubes and listening for system synergy.
          I wish I had a dollar for the many times I've done this and my semi-pro customer picked the cheap $9.00 Chinese preamp tubes over the super, whiz bang, woof woof, NET driven drivel, tube of the month... for V1 and V2!! ha ha
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

I'm really impressed with Winged C 6L6. I look after the amps of a couple of pro/semi pro friends; fitted them with Winged Cs 3 and 2 years ago and they're still running fine at 2 - 3 loud gigs/week in Fender combos, putting out full power, more than I expect to see from the few other current production types I've looked at. Pete.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
              I'm really impressed with Winged C 6L6. I look after the amps of a couple of pro/semi pro friends; fitted them with Winged Cs 3 and 2 years ago and they're still running fine at 2 - 3 loud gigs/week in Fender combos, putting out full power, more than I expect to see from the few other current production types I've looked at. Pete.
              I've really wanted to try the SED Cs, but Geez they really shot up in recent months.
              Has anyone Heard why they went from the $50s a pair to around $80 a pair.
              Other tubes are still running about the same.
              It looks like the whole SED line really Jumped up like that.
              Later,
              B-T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I'm really pleased with the TungSol 6L6STR in a Showman with a cathode follower channel. Tube Depot sold me a set that would break up early, rated at 18. I don't know what the high end clean rated number would be.

I'm using 3 Watt metal oxide 1k Screen Resistors too.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                  For me, it's the TungSol 6L6STR. They sound great, the reliability seems pretty good and are readily-available. I think that New Sensor/Reflektor did a pretty good job with resissuing these.
                  I like their tone, they're also physically tiny and charming, folks who see them like their look. One note about their smaller size is they won't be tight under 5881 clips and spring holders.

As far as tone goes, I observed that if the amp has near or over 400 VDC G2 voltage the STR tone goes very dry, lifeless...as if G2 was stealing some of the mojo from the plate(that's just my empirical observation, no idea what the proper explanation is). On amps with high G2 voltage I had amazing tone from Genalex KT66's - I think also made by Reflector but they go for $ 90 a pair.

Another observation is do not push these STR's into the socket with pressure on the top surface, my thumb went right through one and if the amp was on I'd have had quite some fun. Thread with photos i took : http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24780/

Click image for larger version

Name:	13609d1303090357-dsc_9675.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	821186
                  Last edited by jmaf; 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM.
                  Valvulados

Comment

Rather weird, sticking your finger through a tube. Like the sign says, sh!t happens. I haven't used the TADS but would like to. THe JJ's have been my main stay for a while and really have no failures to date but I do it part time and don't do nearly the volume you guys do. I really like the Wingy C's but they have jumped into the stratosphere lately. EH, good tubes. I know Jon used to SWEAR by Ruby but I had nothing but trouble with them. Must be a shipping thing! My only REAL hard and fast rule is that if it says GT, RUN!

Comment

Just Purchased a pair of TAD 6L6GC-STR Tall Bottle Black Plate Tubes.
                      I put them in my Traynor YCS50. Wanted a tube that was Open with more Headroom.
                      These sound great, I highly recommend them.T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Just Purchased a pair of TAD 6L6GC-STR Tall Bottle Black Plate Tubes.
                        I put them in my Traynor YCS50. Wanted a tube that was Open with more Headroom.
                        These sound great, I highly recommend them.T
                        Nice. Do you recognize them, e.g what model they originally were? I know TungSol has been making STR's but they're definitely not tall bottle.
                        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                          Nice. Do you recognize them, e.g what model they originally were? I know TungSol has been making STR's but they're definitely not tall bottle.
                          Here's a picture.
                          I bought them at Mojo.
                          I read that they are designed at TAD in Germany, and made in China.
                          Same deal with some of the Ruby's I think.
                          I was looking for a tube that would sound clean with a strat in my Traynor.
                          So far so good.
                          http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/images/..._640-y_480.jpg
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Indeed I don't recognize it at first glance and the STR designation would tell us it's been customized by some manufacturer.

There is something about tubes made in China that tells me they're made there at first glance. Maybe the space between the glass and the plate, whatever, there's something about them. "Made in China" is a clue too, but I don't see that anywhere on there
                            Valvulados

Comment

Looks similar to this: (Ruby 6L6GC MSTR)

http://www.tubesandmore.com/sites/de...L6GC-M-STR.png
                              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                                Looks similar to this: (Ruby 6L6GC MSTR)

http://www.tubesandmore.com/sites/de...L6GC-M-STR.png
                                The Ruby's shown have the Grey plates.
                                The TADs are the only tube I have with the Real Shiny Black plates.
                                Here's the data sheet on it.
                                http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/images/...2008.07.11.pdf
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X