Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERCHIEF 120 MATCHLES Schematics Request

Hi,

I would like to know Where I can find the SUPERCHIEF 120 MATCHLES Schematics???....Do anyone have this schematic???...I will wait for any comments!!!

Thanks a lot,
    OSCAR PACHECO.

Given that Matchless has "borrowed" designs from other ampmakers,
    I suggest looking schematics of amps that have similar features and/or tube complements.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur B. View Post
      Given that Matchless has "borrowed" designs from other ampmakers,
      I suggest looking schematics of amps that have similar features and/or tube complements.
      Ok Arthur!!.......Thanks a lot.

Someone have another comment??

opacheco

Comment

Not an actual superchief

I built a Chieftain preamp, with reverb onto a 4 el34 cathode biased output . Also have a dual el34 matchless. built from old Traynor Bassmaster hardware so all Hammond pwr, choke and OPT. The bassmaster is a (was) a 64 model very large power transformer with 5 volt filament drive for a rectifier.I did not have enough room to put in a tube rectifiers for the el34 quad so it SS for the rectification with a series power resistor for some softness. The B+ for the quad amp is in the 430V + range so took a while to dial in the bias resistors. I cathode biased the tubes in pairs. This amp is very loud compared to its dual el34 brother. Also added switch for single pair to cut out 1 pair. I stumbled across a heavy duty 4 pole double throw toggle switch at SAYAL electronics so I also added triode pentode switch. Dialed down is sounds very similar to the dual el34 Chieftain. Awesome for Stereo work. The quad drives 4 tweleves very nicely. I have not seen an actual schematic of a superchief though APC did have a picture of a chassis though I think. Check out Harmony Central for features.

Cgiff.
        Cgiff

Comment

Originally posted by cgiff View Post
          I built a Chieftain preamp, with reverb onto a 4 el34 cathode biased output . Also have a dual el34 matchless. built from old Traynor Bassmaster hardware so all Hammond pwr, choke and OPT. The bassmaster is a (was) a 64 model very large power transformer with 5 volt filament drive for a rectifier.I did not have enough room to put in a tube rectifiers for the el34 quad so it SS for the rectification with a series power resistor for some softness. The B+ for the quad amp is in the 430V + range so took a while to dial in the bias resistors. I cathode biased the tubes in pairs. This amp is very loud compared to its dual el34 brother. Also added switch for single pair to cut out 1 pair. I stumbled across a heavy duty 4 pole double throw toggle switch at SAYAL electronics so I also added triode pentode switch. Dialed down is sounds very similar to the dual el34 Chieftain. Awesome for Stereo work. The quad drives 4 tweleves very nicely. I have not seen an actual schematic of a superchief though APC did have a picture of a chassis though I think. Check out Harmony Central for features.

Cgiff.
          Cgiff
          That sound Great!!,...........Do yoiu have a Schematic copy for your amp???.......and....Do you have the MATCHLESS SUPERCHIEF schematic too??.

Thanks a lot,
          opacheco

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info, Cgiff -- cool amp!

Comment

Not A chieftain

The output stage of my 4 X EL34 chieftain is basically the same circuit as the Chieftain with a parallel tube added to each EL34 in the output. The cathodes share a single ~330 ohm(adjustable) wire wound resistor per pair (Red-plated like hell with the 220 ohm in the schematic). each screen has it's own 1K resistor, each grid has it's own resistor. The output transformer is a 100 W Hammond 1650? ((R) I believe). The preamp is identical to the Chieftain schematic available on the net. As I mentioned the power transformer (hammond) is large, it has a traynor OEM number. I don't have a schematic of the actual amp or I'd post it. I built it 5 -6 years ago. and haven't opened the chassis since building it. Kind of ruined the music toy search, I found my sound, guitar into amp and that's it.
              I have been toying with the idea of changing out the el34's for some 6l6's for the fun of it.
              Cgiff

Comment

Working...
              X