Peavey Classic 30 volume fades out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 30 volume fades out.

So my classic 30 will fade out after about 10 minutes or so from turning it on. I have disassembled it and don't really see anything out of the ordinary, with the exception of worn of insulation between two capacitors. Would that cause it or could I be missing a weak solder point?
    Attached Files

There are a few things you should try and do be careful putting the board back in as the jumper wires are very easy to break and could cause other symptoms if that isn't the symptom. They are sometimes hard to see with the naked eye.

Before you put the board back in you may want to clean the effects jacks real good with a deburring tool or some deoxit or G5. It is possible the jacks have lost contact and patching a cord from send to return would tell the story.

If It's not that than see if the tubes are dropping out at the heaters when the sound goes out. If so it could be a cold solder joint on the tube heater pins so you may touch those up before you put it back in and check the solder and jumper wires on R-71 & 72. The filaments run in series so if one goes out they all go out in the power section that is. The preamps are in series also but it's a different supply and are DC.

If those aren't the problem you should try to isolate where the problem is coming from whether it's the preamp section or power amp section so try the send to another amps return and see if it still drops out and do the same with an amp into the return. Least it cuts the work in half.
    KB

Comment

Could be your output tubes are really old and that its time for a fresh set of EL84s
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        Could be your output tubes are really old and that its time for a fresh set of EL84s
        The tubes are brand new and worked fine in the amp for several weeks. Unless you think its some sort of defect?

Comment

Originally posted by ben.gordon View Post
          The tubes are brand new and worked fine in the amp for several weeks. Unless you think its some sort of defect?
          Have you got another set handy that you can put in to check?
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X