X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb Black face vs Silverface power

I'm looking at building a Blackface Twin Reverb based on the AB763
    and noted that it's official power rating is 85W-RMS while the Silverface
    specs indicate 100W-RMS. the PT and OT transformers, main B+ and out sections look identical in the schematics (AB763 v AA769) but the plate voltages look higher on the 63
    (460v) vs 69(408v). Where does that extra 15watts come from on the AA769 ?
    I'm still going to build the AB763 but always looking for more insight and more power
    Thanks

Firstly forget the schematic voltages, SF twin voltages varied by over 100vdc depending on year. An AB763 is likely to be over 500vdc in reality. Commonly a "BF" Twin Reverb PT will be around 345-0-345VAC and give 460-470vdc on the 6L6 plates. More B+ = more power. Actual voltages vary from mfr to mfr. If you wanted maximum power you might look for a 375-0-375VAC PT that will give around 510vdc on the power tube plates.

Comment

I think Leo Fender used 105Vac as a benchmark.
      CBS decided to use 117Vac.
      Right there is an output "power" difference.
      And you are not really going to tell the difference between an 85 watt head & a 100 watt head.

Comment

CBS used 120VAC with a 315-0-315VAC secondary, 404vdc on the plates. 350-0-350VAC for the combination biased AC568 whih the schematic shows as having 6V at the cathodes and a plate to cathode voltage of 464vdc.

AB763 doesn't have a wall AC primary specified, but the more critical secondary voltage is 340-0-340VAC, plate voltage @ 460vdc.

...add 10-15% to account for rise in AC wall voltage over the years.

Comment

It's going to vary by tube quad, speaker reflected load, wall voltage, maybe the weather anyway.

for a guitar amp in those days the numbers they give are pretty much meaningless.

you might get anywhere between 80-100 clean with a quad of 6l6s. double that at peak overdrive.

also the blackface schumachers and the later silverface output transformers are different.

Comment

Working...
          X