Variable control knob for sewing machine motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable control knob for sewing machine motor

I want to build my own winder using a sewing machine motor, but instead of using the foot pedal for speed control, I want to use a knob control. I was poking around the forum and found this:

Router Speed Control

would I just plug the motor+pedal to this speed control as is? or do i need to remove the pedal and make a plug from the motor wire?

are there any cheaper options?

I'll probably be getting this motor: Sewing Machine Motor with Foot pedal SERGER .9amp | eBay

Those should work well together. I've seen people us a thumb screw clamp to hold the pedal down. You could bypass the pedal and just splice the plug onto the motor cord. I'd keep the pedal around until you know what your process is. I like using my pedal as I need both hands free when I start the winder.

Comment

My first winder in the late 70s was made with a sewing machine motor, had the foot pedal. I'd actually like one of those pedals now!
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

My pickup winder is a sewing machine and it had the foot pedal. I went to the hardware store and bought a dimmer switch and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by paulyy View Post
          My pickup winder is a sewing machine and it had the foot pedal. I went to the hardware store and bought a dimmer switch and it works great.
          I use to use a dimmer but i give up on it ,as it would always slow after winding a while
          a router speed control is something I have been meaning to try
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

instead of a sewing machine motor i think im going to try fabbing something out of an angle grinder, its only $10 @ harbor freight with coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...der-95578.html
            Last edited by gkwon002; 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I thing an angle grinder turns too fast
              I would try an Oscillating fan

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                I thing an angle grinder turns too fast
                I would try an Oscillating fan
                I was planning on using it with the router speed control

Comment

I don't know what you desired winding speed is .A grinder turns about 10000 rpm
                  personally i like to wind about 600 rpm ..it could be a little overkill

Comment

I've seen a lot of free sewing machines on the side of the road in my day. You might want to check your local Good Will store or equivalent. I paid $15 for mine at an "antique" store (it's an "antique" -1940s).

Comment

Originally posted by gkwon002 View Post
                      instead of a sewing machine motor i think im going to try fabbing something out of an angle grinder, its only $10 @ harbor freight with coupon.

4-1/2" Angle Grinder
                      If you are going to do that, you can get a stationary grinder or polisher and reduce the speed.

I think it will still run too fast even with a router speed control for winding. That judging from how fast my router runs with the speed control set to the slowest. Way too fast.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X