1965 Gibson SG Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Gibson SG Jr

I have a 65 sg jr that I've had since 1980. When I plug it into a amp it makes this noise and when I turn the guitar the noise is not as loud. I dont know if its the dog ear pickup or maybe the wiring, it has always made that noise. Anyone know were this noise is coming from? thanks

Sounds like AC 60 Cycle Hum that Plagues Single Coil Guitars.
    Most Single coils are worse if you sit near and face the speaker of the amp.
    It gets better if you turn perpendicular to the amp, or sit to the side.
    Computers, and flourescent lamps make Single Coils go crazy also.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Picking up hum is like receiving a radio station, turn the receiver in a different direction without moving your feet and you get different reception. Same thing with single coils of virtually any type; different physical orientation = different hum pickup.

Comment

Anyone know were this noise is coming from?
        Yep, it's from the pickup also picking up stray electromagnetic interference. Some of this comes from the amp itself, mostly the power transformer which is why moving the guitar changes it. Other sources are CRT monitors, cell phones, light dimmers and life in the 21st Century.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Gibson SG jr 1965 pics

Heres a few pics of my guitar. and a couple pics of my old truetone radio. Can anyone tell me when this radio was made? I cant find any info anywhere on this model.
          Attached Files

Comment

That's a P90 single-coil pickup, one of the best-sounding rock & roll pickups ever made, but also makes a great antenna for picking up EMI (electromagnetic interference). There ARE hum-cancelling versions, but quite frankly, I think they suck. They don't REALLY suck, they just don't sound like a P90. You're gonna have to live with it I'm afraid.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I just replaced a Pickup Cable and recharged the magnets on a 1963 SG Jr, for a local Vintage Guitar Store.
              It wasn't as nice as yours, and didn't have the Tremelo. His had the Wrap around Bridge.
              It had quite a bit of wear and tear on it.
              After I got the pickup working properly, The Tech put it back together and it sounded Great.
              They are Asking $2900 for it.
              So I recommend taking good care of it and keep everything in stock condition.
              Terry
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Nice guitar. I've had a couple of those over the years. One thing that I ended up doing was wrapping the low E string around the bridge. It kept the bridge from wandering and didn't let me bomb the low E and take it out of tune.
                My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

smart....very smart.

Comment

Working...
                  X