Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland xp-10 out of tune

hi all,
    I picked up an Xp-10 from a private seller and didn't even think to mess with the pitch wheel or check the tuning. It's a little over 2 steps too high. It's set at 440 in the master tune. Even transposing it down 2 steps is still off a hair. The pitch wheel lever works down, and modulation works, but not up. When I press a key on a synth patch I can hear it go down super fast as i release the key. So I'm thinking there is a fault with the lever, like it's stuck in up position as far as the keyboard thinks. It even screws up in midi. I'd rather not play midi live though. When i use dual mode one sound is 2 steps apart from the other. i've tried disconnecting the lead wire from the lever by unplugging the small pinned connector at the lever end, not the board end. Nothing changed.

Anyone who can help I'd so appreciate it. I have a gig in two weeks I'm needing to practice for.

Have you tried the factory reset? (Press UTILITY. Use the VALUE + or - to select INITIALIZE, then press ENTER. Use the VALUE + or - to select FACTORY PRESET, then press ENTER). I would think if the lever were bad, disconnecting it should have made a difference.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I agree with g-one, first step is almost always to reinitialize.

Pitch wheel is just a pot, like a volume control. If it only works in one direction, I'd be more inclined to think the problem was in the circuit the wheel connects to rather than the wheel control itself. Of course, I could be wrrong.

ANyone have the schematic?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, I would reinit it and recheck. If it is still out of whack, you might have a pitch wheel problem. I always plug keyboards that do funny things into a MIDI analyzer. If there are any hardware issues, like pitch/mod wheels etc., you can readily see this as a transmitted MIDI message.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

whoops sorry, yes the second thing i did after messing with the master tune was to re-initialize. oh also, I'm not really caring about the bend feature if there might be a way to just remove it from the equation to fix the problem. i've asked someone for a schematic, if i get it i'll post. thank you for your replies.

Comment

The XP10 service manual shows a section of the test program devoted to calibrating the pitch and mod lever. This may or may not work. I've worked on a bunch of these for a local school system. Several had a similar problem, and all but one was fixed by recalibration. The other one had an issue with the AD converter for the pitch lever, and they didn't want to spend the money to fix it, so I showed them how to set the bend range to zero. That "fixed" it as far as they were concerned.

The service manual is too big to post here, but if you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you, or let you know where I posted it. I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll be glad to help out when I get back.

Comment

HI FRIENDS!!

I Have the same problem in the Roland XP10. The Pitch wheel is not the really problem, IS THE SOFTWARE ...You remove the BATTERY ???
              I Replace the battery inside and start the problem. My XP10 is detuned (-2 Semitone), and when I activate the modulation wheel, It remains always active in all instruments.
              The factory reset DON'T WORK with this problem!!

I know that this problem has solution, that maybe appears in the Service Manual.
              MR. bkahuna: You Can Send to me the Service Manual PLEASE??, my E-mail: audioprof1@hotmail.com

Thanks!
              Last edited by audioprof1; 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
                The XP10 service manual shows a section of the test program devoted to calibrating the pitch and mod lever. This may or may not work. I've worked on a bunch of these for a local school system. Several had a similar problem, and all but one was fixed by recalibration. The other one had an issue with the AD converter for the pitch lever, and they didn't want to spend the money to fix it, so I showed them how to set the bend range to zero. That "fixed" it as far as they were concerned.

The service manual is too big to post here, but if you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you, or let you know where I posted it. I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll be glad to help out when I get back.
                I just got the manual from a kind user on here and if i can understand it i'll try the fix thank you all much, I will update when i try it.

Comment

ok that worked, kind of. I had to set the bend radius to 0 on all 16 parts, BUT when i turn it off and back on again i had to set it again, which i can live with. Does anyone know how i might save it permanently? I can work with this though, doesn't take long to do, about a minute

Comment

If memory won't hold settings, that usually means your memory battery is dead.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok, had the same problem here.

I took out the internal battery, and pitch wheel didn't work.

You need the service manual, to get into the test mode, to recalibrate
                      the pitch and mod stick.

WORKS GREAT NOW!!! THANKS!
                      Last edited by Paul678; 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

XP-10 service manual

Originally posted by Frenzy1971 View Post
                        hi all,
                        I picked up an Xp-10 from a private seller and didn't even think to mess with the pitch wheel or check the tuning. It's a little over 2 steps too high. It's set at 440 in the master tune. Even transposing it down 2 steps is still off a hair. The pitch wheel lever works down, and modulation works, but not up. When I press a key on a synth patch I can hear it go down super fast as i release the key. So I'm thinking there is a fault with the lever, like it's stuck in up position as far as the keyboard thinks. It even screws up in midi. I'd rather not play midi live though. When i use dual mode one sound is 2 steps apart from the other. i've tried disconnecting the lead wire from the lever by unplugging the small pinned connector at the lever end, not the board end. Nothing changed.

Anyone who can help I'd so appreciate it. I have a gig in two weeks I'm needing to practice for.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my XP-10. Could you send me the service manual? My email is ismael632@hotmail.com. I would appreciate you help. Thanks!

Comment

For your information...

The tuning on this keyboard is directly influenced by the pitch bender/mod joystick.

The motherboard on this keyboard does not know the actual values on the potentiometers since they are analog and they have a tolerance percentage. This will make the keyboard out of tune.

By moving it back and forth during calibration, the motherboard takes this into consideration and then will make the appropriate modifications.

The procedure is described on pages 8 and 9 on the Roland XP-10 service notes.

Basically, one enters into test mode and then after the automatic tests, you can select this particular test or you can get to it by selecting the midi test and finishing it.

The keyboard first tells you what values it reads from the potentiometers.

You then exit the test after calibration.

If anyone needs help doing this or still needs the service notes then send me an e-mail:

insanitor@yahoo.com

Comment

There is now a link to the service notes:

SYNTHESIZER SERVICE MANUALS - FREE DOWNLOAD

Comment

Working...
                            X