Anybody know something about this guitar amp? Epiphone Model 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know something about this guitar amp? Epiphone Model 100

Hello. I am wondering if somebody can tell me a few things about this amp I came across. It says "Epiphone Model 100" S/N 1102 on what I believe to be an 8" speaker. Schematic has a code "TUL-4031." Made in Kalamazoo, MI, USA. No date code on schematic or anywhere I can see, even the tubes. The tubes are RCA (they do have codes, 'AU' and 'AL' on part of the label). 6BQ5, 12AX7A, 6X4 are the three tubes.

Based on the style of capacitor, the circuit design (no NFB, 150 ohm cathode resistor on the 6BQ5), and the tube type (esp. rectifier) selection, and overall appearance, I would guess this amp was made somewhere around 1958?

What I am really wondering is the rarity of the amp, and potential value. It has very high idle hum, and I suspect that the filter capacitor is shot. Not to mention that it could really use an inductor to further clean up the power and there is certainly plenty of space. Plus, putting a grounded power cord on this would be a good idea, and redoing the chassis ground connection accordingly. BUT, I'd like to refrain from tearing into it until I know more. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

I have not seen that particular model before , however it appears very similar to the mid to late 60s Kalamazoo line of amps that Gibson produced as well as the Skylark in the Medallist series they made 66-68. The Kalamazoos and Skylark came with 10" speakers and are good little practice amps.
    Go ahead and replace the filter caps, put a 3 prong cord on and use it in your bedroom. You can find them on the bay for 60 to 300 bucks. 300 does seem somewhat high to me.

Comment

There are probably date codes on the the potentiometers. It does indeed seem very similar to a mid 60s Skylark. Excellent little amps, not particularly valuable or collectable, but a great bang for the buck. They saturate nicely IMHO.

Comment

The Epi 100 is the same as the Kalamazoo model 1. The model 2 added a tremolo to it.

The schematic is in the Gibson Amplifier Master Service book, page 322, listed as KAL-1. But you already have the schematic.

I am not into dates, but there are no date codes on the large caps or transformers or speaker frame or certqainly the controls? In the one photo I see what looks like a legend on the rear of at least one control

Yes, your 50+ year old electrolytic caps are dried out and should be replaced. I can't see the other caps inside, but any of the wax coated ones should be replaced. Any others, depends upon their condition. Fresh caps will tune it up, it doesn;t need an inductor.

I don't do values, but whatever you can get for it, is what it is worth. Is the upper rear panel missing or just removed for pictures?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X