Favourite 6L6 or KT66 tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite 6L6 or KT66 tubes?

What's your favourite tubes for a cathode biased amp?
    Brands?
    Or do you prefer KT66?

Originally posted by arnenym View Post
    What's your favourite tubes for a cathode biased amp?
    Brands?
    Or do you prefer KT66?
    Here's another similar post on 6L6s.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t25584/
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you. It was informative.
      I want to know more about good 6L6 and KT 66 for harp amps.
      Wezo 45 and 5f2H use KT66. But most people use 6L6.. Why??

And i saw one who like Tung-sol 12AX7. But i have to warn you about those in a harp amp. They are shrill, edgy and early distorsion tubes.

Comment

You'd want something with early breakup. The NOS Sylvania's that KCA-NOS Tubes sells would work great, and for NOS tubes, are not pricey at all.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thank you.
          I have not tell you all because i wanted to keep it open for different suggestions.
          I have a head build like a 5E5, not 5E5A. On webers kitsite they call it 5E3P..
          It have a switch between different input voltages. I used to have it on 240 volts. But i serendipity discovered it sound a lot better with the switch on 220 volts.
          This means i have 440 volts on plates uncorrected. No good for a vintage 6L6G tube..
          My Tung-sol 6L6G RI maybe would manage 440 plate voltage and 31 volts on cathode with a 250 ohm resistor. This means they go close to 60 mA... But cathode bias use to go very hot... And they are false 6L6G they are 6L6GC in another glass.
          I have to swap the T-S tubes because they is too microphonic. And i began to wonder about KT66 tubes.

Comment

And i saw one who like Tung-sol 12AX7. But i have to warn you about those in a harp amp. They are shrill, edgy and early distorsion tubes.
            Tung Sol 12AX7s are not shrill and edgy at all. You must have picked a foul one. They do break up early indeed and are probably not the best choice for a harp amp either because tighter and clearer sounding tubes might be what most people want. Nevertheless the Tung Sols are very warm and rather dark sounding. They are a good choice in V1 of a Blackface amp IMHO for example because they take away some of the brittle edge and let the amp break up smoothly. Most guitar players like them best in their blackfaces for their warmth and smooth response when I let them do a blind comparison. Sometimes harp players like them too but mostly they prefer something else ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefinger View Post
              Sometimes harp players like them too but mostly they prefer something else ...

I bought 3 of them to my bassman and another amp. (Not at the same time I use YXX) I sold them to my guitarist and HE be happy with them.
              I bought them because I'm very pleasured with their 5881's and 6V6's.

Comment

I bought 3 of them to my bassman and another amp. (Not at the same time I use YXX) I sold them to my guitarist and HE be happy with them.
                I bought them because I'm very pleasured with their 5881's and 6V6's.
                Yes, I like their 6V6 and especially their 5881s as well. I have used a lot of those and most players just love them ...

Comment

No one who have something to say about Tung-Sol KT66?

Comment

Last I checked it's not a real KT66. Maybe someone will correct me.

jamie

Comment

I know they have the same heater current as a 6L6 but in some reviews they say it sound as a KT66..

Comment

I know they have the same heater current as a 6L6 but in some reviews they say it sound as a KT66..
                        Perhaps it is the same people who thinks that of a 6L6. FWIW the TAD/Shuguang KT66 are very good. They look the part to. Watch out with size of them, thought.... I had to remove some serious wood in a JTM45 combo to fit a pair.

Comment

Working...
                        X