Panasonic WP-9220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic WP-9220

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the potted discrete Panasonic MC8134 opamp? It's a potted little circuit board with 2 8 pin dip IC's and 10 leads coming out of it.. Panasonic wants $50 for it.

Got a schematic? Make the little circuit up on a small board.

Does MCM happen to have it in their manufacturer specific listings?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There's no actual schematic for what is inside the thing. It's drawn as an instrumentation amplifier in general, but it's got 4 rails coming in: +18V, +36V on two pins, -18V, and -36V on two pins also. It's some kind of arrangement where the +18V rail moves up to +36V on the positive peak and -18V moves down to -36V on the negative valleys. It's got 10 pins. I can see through the potting material that there are 2 IC's in it along with other stuff.

MCM does not have it. The only place I've found it is from Panasonic directly. Supposedly it is the Achille's heel of this amp.

Comment

So is it a power amp IC? Acting as a driver or something?

I googled it to see what it was, and I found one selling for $190, and another that sold for $75. SO I can see why you wouldn;t want to buy a $50 part for it.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Do you have the actual *power amp* schematic?
          As Enzo said, it's probably a driver chip , it *might* be functionally replaced by something equivalent.
          Worst case 1: if it drives (and biases) , say, 2 or 4 complementary power transistors (á la LM391), maybe you can build a classic amp "front end" on a small board.
          Easy if you don't need short circuit protection as in a combo amp; otherwise that complicates the issue.
          Worst case 2: you just ditch the entire power board and use those +/-36V to feed a regular amp or even a chipamp, using the original PSU and heatsinks.
          Post some gut pictures.

EDIT: disregard my suggestions, it's a 300Wpc monster. Class H or F. Forget it.
          If I had it in Argentina, I might mount a couple of my own PCBs inside and sell it for a reasonable profit, given that Ramsa/Panasonic carries some good vibes here, but in the American Market, it's not worth it.
          Sorry.
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X