Finish on a maple fretboard neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    In case you just skimmed, I mentioned that my own frankenstrat is finished entirely with tung oil. And yes, the fingerboard is looking shabby after over twenty years. I'll admit that I was disappointed when I first noticed it happening. I accepted it, but I won't say I like it. I'm not into the "distressed" thing. Because the oil penetrates, an oiled board won't ever look as bad as when a surface finish fails and exposes raw wood, but it's not much better. I think, lacking OCD maintenance, that a maple fingerboard is just an ugly eventuality waiting to happen. Or is it!?!..

The bass player in my high school band played a fretless Jazz Bass. Yep, a fretless Jazz Bass. It was purchased used. Some shop pulled the frets from the maple board, inlaid wood strips and then treated the board with some sort of wood surface hardener. I have no idea what sort of toxic business that must have been, but my mans finger board was already old when he got the guitar and looked good the whole time I knew him. I wish I could report on what was on there.
    Yes I skimmed!

Twenty years? Here's a tele neck that I refretted. I used a few thin coats of nitro lacquer figuring that would be enough. It was a quick and dirty job because I had to use the guitar that week.

After a few days it looked like this! Then I switched to another guitar and haven't played this one in a while until I fix it.

Last edited by David Schwab; 09-01-2014, 05:29 PM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Those frets don't look too short. SOMEONE has a hard left hand

Like I said... An ugly eventuality waiting to happen. I suppose that Japanese polyester finish used on Yamaha and Ibanez guitars might hold up for a good long while. Ever try to strip that stuff!?! Then there's my friends Jazz bass. I should get back in touch and see how that's going. A mutual acquaintance found him on Facebook, but I refuse to subscribe (for my own very valid reasons).
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I had luck with the nasty spray on ammonia, methanol and dichloromethane stripper
        ( it turns nitrile gloves and plastic hardware to mush!) when I stripped the dead polyester finish off a Rogue 6 string bass

Comment

Good to know. I tried the same product in the pour can on an Ibanez Destroyer. After two hours the finish was still solid in places and just popped off in postage stamp sized pieces in other places. After multiple applications and a lot of clean up sanding of stubborn bits and residue I did, eventually, get it all off. I'll try the spray can next time. I wonder what they make the nozzle out of Perhaps it melts away if you don't pull it and neutralize it.?.

Much prettier finish on that guitar
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

thnx! Its Liberon finishing oil and Renaissance wax!

There was much work, also, to remove all of the horrid plastic...scrape, sand, solvent, repeat
            And you can see where veneer bubbled up from injudicious application of heat gun! I'm gonna slit it with razor and re-glue with some epoxy when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
            X