Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a 65 Super reverb today... BUT I NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a 65 Super reverb today... BUT I NEED HELP!

So today my aunt sold me a 65 Super Reverb. The amp its self looks great (looks to me all original inside) and it even has the reverb tank with bag. However, the cabinet was cut down (or maybe its a different cab?) into a head. I don't really care about that because I plan on putting it to its original cabinet design anyhow. The amp worked when I turned it on but the light would not come on. The pots were very crackly and would come in and out of volume. I took it home and sprayed it down with the air compressor and got all of the dust out. I turned it on and the light came on, however when I turned off the "Standby" switch, the light went out. There is something weird going on with the amp. I eventually got it working GREAT! the reverb works perfect. The pots I never got to be how they should but they were a little better. So I was playing for about 2 minutes and it sounded awesome, and then it just faded out and the tubes were not longer lit up. I planned on getting a cap job/3prong cable and all that jazz but am worried about what else might be wrong. I don't mind simple fix's but could this be a transformer? I am not exactly sure what a transformer fail does but I know they are expensive! If anyone has an idea about this let me know. Also, if anyone has any cool information about the amp, feel free to share!
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Also, anyone know good caps to get? Maybe a website where I can buy them as a set?

Comment

If you're getting a cap job anyway tell the tech to test the transformers first before overhauling it. Wouldn't that be terrible?

Standard protocol for tech if it doesn't turn on anymore is to check that and if they are in your amp anyways they shouldn't charge for that.

I have an amp that when I tap the jewel light the bulb turns on and off. Loose bayonet tabs. Maybe. Or pull it out and check the filament if its burnt out.

Comment

If you want low cost caps JustRadios.com

I've ordered from there and the caps sound fine to me.

Newark.com also.

Comment

Yeah, I tried different bulbs and everything, no go! I wouldent get the cap job unless I knew what else was wrong first. I dont want to waste $100+!! I might eventually put the amp into a 2x12 cab, I would like the 4x10 so it would be original but then I would have to drop $500 on speakers! choices choices... Hopefully its nothing too serious. I am getting the amp for Under $200 so I am not in it too deep

Comment

Well I dont want to spend a ton, but considering this is a very collectible amp I don't want to skimp too much.

Comment

ANything is possible, but a bad transformer is really unlikely. Look for a bad connection between the main transformer 6v leads, and the rest of the circuit. Since the light has benn going out, start there, the transformer is often soldered first to the bulb socket and from there wires trail over to the tubes.

SUitable amp caps are usually sold by the same folks that sells us tubes.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

First: unplug the power cord from the wall. Then check the power cord that its connected properly to the amp and not torn or come apart anywhere.

Then: If you not comfortable opening the amp and checking the transformer you could turn the amp on and touch the large transformer and feel if it has a slight vibration/hum to it. If it doesn't it might be dead. If it does vibrate/hum, then you could most likely get a recap and be good to go.

Comment

Oh, and check the fuse.
                  If the fuse blew then it might have saved your transformer.
                  But I wouldn't replace the fuse or turn it on again.

Comment

The amp is 40+ years old and who knows how much it got banged around when the cab was converted or how long it sat unused. If the jewel and the tubes are not lighting up you are missing the 6.3v filament supply. You need to measure that at the transformer leads. If it it is there you have a bad connection(s) somewhere. If it isn't there you need to check the primary of the transformer and see if the line voltage is getting there. Your pots will probably clean up with some Deoxit. Don't assume the caps are bad. The filters probaly are but not necessarily. I have an all original 63 Tremolux that works perfectly. Do be aware that a Super Reverb requires a 4 ohm load. Since your amp works intermittently without major hum, I would suspect that there is very little wrong with it. Yes a 3 wire cord is a good idea. If you are clueless about electronics you should take it to a shop. There are potentially lethal voltages inside the amp.

Comment

A Super Reverb requires a 2-ohm load, not 4-ohm as another poster mentioned.
                      Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
                        A Super Reverb requires a 2-ohm load, not 4-ohm as another poster mentioned.
                        You are absolutely correct! Brain fart on my part. It is one of the few amps that has only a 2 ohm tap. But it will tolerate a 4 ohm load if he hooks it up to 4/16 ohm switchable cabinet for test. There are a lot more of those round than a 2 ohm setup. My point was to not use an 8 or 16 ohm cab.

Comment

Hey guys, I got some pictures for you tonight...I got it to work tonight for a while just by shaking it a LITTLE, when It started working it sounded AMAZING, but I noticed one of the tubes was super bright. I am taking it to a tech on Tuesday(charging $30 just to look at it) so hopefully its nothing crazy. If its a transformer would sound even come out? Im super excited about this amp. I think after I get all of the electronics working great I am going to get a 4x10 combo cab from mojotone and slowly get some speakers (the downside of 4x10... Having to buy FOUR speakers!!) But I was looking at the Weber signature series maybe? I have one in my champion 600 and really like it, but anything was an upgrade for that amp... Anyhow, enjoy the pictures and feel free to give input!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	071311234444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	821179Click image for larger version

Name:	071311223314.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	821180Click image for larger version

Name:	071511221856.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	821181Click image for larger version

Name:	071511222616.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	821182Click image for larger version

Name:	071511222609.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	821183 Click image for larger version

Name:	071511222602.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	821184The tube on the left is the one that was glowing brightly. Oh and I forgot to add something about this amp that might make you guys a little upset with me... Not too bad for $50 huh?

Comment

I got it to work tonight for a while just by shaking it
                            What!?!?

Not too bad for $50 huh?
                            What.

The tube on the left is the one that was glowing brightly
                            You might only need a new rectifier tube... ignoring the fact the caps are all orignal. If the transformer is blown it wound't turn on. However, I once had a bad capacitor can that zapped my rectifier tube. The cap can got real hot too.

Quit turning it on, really.

Super nice amp

Comment

Yeah, I'm done turning it on untill I take it in on tuesday.. I just resist... :x Also, when I take it in, would it be a bad idea for me to hold off on a cap job for a while n just get the problems fixed, and a three prong cable? I would like to keep the original caps as long as possible for sound reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X