Tapped single coil Tele bridge pu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapped single coil Tele bridge pu

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any success in winding a tapped Telecaster single coil? I was planning to take a tap off at 6.5k then carry on winding to 10k or so. I have heard however that the loading of the extra coils negates the added brightness and sparkle of the lower tapped output ... in other words you just get mostly less output rather than a more vintage sound. Any thoughts anyone?
    I have just wound a really nice sounding 9.7k bridge pickup ... but just fancied the option of more sparkle.

The tapping works fine, but you have to watch how you do the switching. What you don't want to do it short the first tap to the last tap to switch to the lower tap. That will give you a closed loop around the inside coil and dull the tone.

So when you do the switching, disconnect the final end and connect the tap to the output.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      The tapping works fine, but you have to watch how you do the switching. What you don't want to do it short the first tap to the last tap to switch to the lower tap. That will give you a closed loop around the inside coil and dull the tone.

So when you do the switching, disconnect the final end and connect the tap to the output.
      Thanks David. The tapped Bridge pickup seems like a great way to get extra tones from an Esquire setup ... surprised more mainstream manufacturers don't do it (well only to special order anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by foonting View Post
        Thanks David. The tapped Bridge pickup seems like a great way to get extra tones from an Esquire setup ... surprised more mainstream manufacturers don't do it (well only to special order anyway).
        It was popular back in the 70s. The first time I saw it done was with Schecter Guitar Research pickups. They always had taps. Seymour also had a tapped Tele bridge pickup.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Also if you do a lighter tap such as a 1k to 2 k tap it seems to work pending wire used. I like it best with heavy Form var for strats and 43 pe for teles
          Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

I have one in my tele that starts at 6.4k then 8.3 and 10k at the end. It's 42 gauge formvar with staggered AII slugs. I like it enough that I turned it into a thinline esquire. I hate tele neck pickups so this works for me. Sounds lovely. The 6.4 is really bright. Each setting is nice and much sweeter to my ears than any godawful neck pickup. If I want it to sound like a neck pup I'll throw a thick wool blanket over my speaker cab.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
              If I want it to sound like a neck pup I'll throw a thick wool blanket over my speaker cab.
              Good neck pickups don't sound muddy. But most Tele neck pickups are awful.

I built a tele for a guy and he used a Lace Chrome Dome Strat neck pickup in place of the Tele neck pickup. It looked the same, and sounded like a Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Good neck pickups don't sound muddy. But most Tele neck pickups are awful.

I built a tele for a guy and he used a Lace Chrome Dome Strat neck pickup in place of the Tele neck pickup. It looked the same, and sounded like a Strat.

That guitar might be distracting to play.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X