Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vox buckingham super reverb info needed.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vox buckingham super reverb info needed.......

hi, this my first post here...........so im rebuilding this vox buckingham amp super reverb......
    this amp had been sitting outside in a barn for years and it had all kinds of dirt and bug nests in it, so it needed a major overhaul.........the person who i got it from said it has not worked in years, so i was not able to turn it on before the repairs to test it, due to all the crap that was inside it. in hind site, i should have cleaned it up and then tested it.
    so, i replaced all the electrolytic caps, and i rebuilt the power board circuitry as i thought it was shot. im pretty sure i got my wiring correct...........
    so i put it all back together and all i get is power hum through the speakers, but no guitar signal comes through.
    i didnt have the filter cap with all of the major wires going to it grounded correctly and now the little transformer smells burnt, so i fixed that and i still only get power hum through the speakers.

still no guitar signal comes through, does anybody that knows anything about these amps have any ideas as to my problem?

This is far from a model specific issue. Corrosion at non soldered contact points could be an issue. Jacks, pots, switches and plug in buss cables. Not nearly enough info for a diagnosis. Do you have a schematic and have you checked voltages?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Dead on, Chuck.

In bringing up an unknown old amp, always, always, always get the power supply running right first. In the case of this amp, get the power supply and power amp running first. They're both on the same subchassis. I would pull the power transistors (which may well be shorted) and then work on the power supply. That will prevent most other damage from happening. The power supply should put out +/- 31Vdc at the power filter caps.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
      X