Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the tremolo block on a American strat two pivot tremelo

Hey fellas,

has anyone found a brass tremolo block that GFS maybe sells that will replace the trem block on the American 2 pivot trem bridge?

Or maybe someone else sells a replacement brass trem block for these?

I tried one of the tremolo bridges from GFS on a MIM strat and wow... what a difference in tone it made making the guitar sound fatter with better lows and smoothers hi's.

Thanks

An American Strat with a two-point floating trem will have a full-size block that is usually tapered on one side to allow more bending range. I don't recall if the block on that tremolo is diecast zinc or steel. However, because it is full-size, you might find that it makes a less radical difference than what happened to you MIM Strat, which has a puny, thin diecast zinc block on the stock Sung Il tremolo system.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Hey jrfrond,

Yes, its a steel block from what I can tell. I see that a site that sells the brass blocks for the American strat two point trem but they charge around $70.00 for these. Too expensive... but in saying that I'll bet it would improve the guitar. I have a ash body American strat that was submerged in Ike and got it back going after much restoration and a new maple neck and it sounds great but I wanted to get a brass block for it. GFS said they do not carry a brass block to fit that trem...

I just installed another brass block trem on a alder body strat with a maple neck and wow, much better rock tones...

I havent tried a brass nut in years but was considering trying that lately. Brass makes a comeback on guitars after 30 years...LOL..

Comment

A brass (or any metal) nut will only make a difference on open strings. I don't care for them because of that. open strings tend to sound real bright and pingy as compared to fretted notes. I would stick with a good nut material such as bone, "tusq", micarta. I can't stand Floyd Rose nuts because of this....and because you can't optimize string height individually.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
          A brass (or any metal) nut will only make a difference on open strings. I don't care for them because of that. open strings tend to sound real bright and pingy as compared to fretted notes. I would stick with a good nut material such as bone, "tusq", micarta. I can't stand Floyd Rose nuts because of this....and because you can't optimize string height individually.
          But if you think about it, fretted strings are sitting on a metal "nut"; the fret wire. I find brass to be kind of dark sounding, but I have made aluminum nuts and they sound great. I use zero frets in my basses, so the nut material doesn't affect the tone of the open strings.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X