Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI Design

Hey all,
    I'm in the process of building a little 17w amp with old ao-35 parts. I have a PI design based on my Goodsell Super 17, but noticed that the Dr. Z stuff had very different values for the resistors in the PI. A Matchless Spitfire and the Goodsell are virtually identical at this point, and much of the preamp etc. is the same as a Maz 18, so wondered what difference the Dr. Z values would make. It's the same tube, a 12ax7 for the PI.

Hope this question is clear...

Thanks!

I've never hear of some of those amps and Dr.Z amp schematics are hard to find. Can you post links to schematics of some of those amps? Or post a partial schematic of one of the amps and describe the changes.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I must have been taking crazy pills yesterday. Today I looked back at those schematics and didn't see what I thought i did yesterday. Maybe I'll find it somewhere...

Comment

Have you looked at Aiken's site? He has a good tutorial on phase inverters.

The Long-Tail Pair
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.

Comment

I have read it, and just did again. It actually answered some questions and put me on track to find the answers to others. Thanks!

Comment

The ao35 used a fixed bias phase inverter. Some claim this is part of what makes it a fabulous guitar amp.

here's a schematic:

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hamm...atics/AO35.JPG

I've never built one but the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia enjoys a good tonal rep and it's this amp with a mid scooping tone control out front.

Personally- I'd build something with a pentode out front and a basic tone control.

I'm not advocating it (stealing) but if you look around on the web you can find various Dr. Z schematics. His designs are largely carefully tuned adaptations of classic designs. If you're anything like me you could never afford a Z amp anyway so you might as well build something of your own that you like!

jamie

Comment

That type phase inverter is used in some HiFi amps. Sometimes offset (un-equal) plate resistors are used to equalize the gain much like Fender did.

Comment

Working...
              X