Useful tool - strap wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful tool - strap wrench

I have a couple strap wrenches, got them cheap at HArbor Freight one time. These are the handle with a fat rubber strip connected. You wrap the strap around something you want to turn - round or not - and tuck the free end back into the wrench, Then pull the handle to turn the item with a lot more torque than your hand alone can transfer. They use these things on car oil filters for example.

These are great for loosening screw-on compression drivers when they are too tight for hand turning.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Great idea on loosening compression drivers, Enzo.
    Thanks.

Comment

Oh, is THAT what they call it? I've been calling it an "oil filter wrench", and it is about the only tool that will work on compression drivers that are stuck, or even if they aren't. Yeah, just used mine yesterday when I had to recone a Urei 801 coax driver, and it WAS stuck!!!
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Great tip.

Word association - the moment I saw "strap wrench" my first thought was "horn driver."
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
          .....the moment I saw "strap wrench" my first thought was "horn driver."
          There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I'm having a senior moment right now.
          John R. Frondelli

Comment

AS I get older, and my joints get sorer and my arthritis takes even more control, I have to admit, I got the thing out to open a jar of pickles. But it does do compression drivers most of the time.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              ...I got the thing out to open a jar of pickles.
              Is that the dirty joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                AS I get older, and my joints get sorer and my arthritis takes even more control, I have to admit, I got the thing out to open a jar of pickles. But it does do compression drivers most of the time.
                I TOTALLY get this! I have but one word to say: IBUPROFEN
                John R. Frondelli

Comment

I have been arthritic for a long time. I discuss it with my doctor. I told him I work with high voltage and don't want to take anything that makes me dopey. Besides, I already lived through the 1960s, I don't need no get-high these days.

The doctor prescribed 800mg ibuprofen for when I need something. I asked him if ther was any difference between the 800mg prescription ibuprofen and just taking four of the 200mg ibuprofen available over the counter. He said, no difference. Good. The 800mg stuff was like $18 for 30 of them, while I can buy a jar of 500 of the 200mg ones for $8.

I find the ibu can take the edge off when pain is keeping me from falling asleep. But when the base of my thumb won;t let me even pick up a tool, no pill will help.

Comment

I feel your pain (well actually of course I feel my own but can certainly relate ). Ibuprofen has been my very good friend for many years now, though it is certainly not a magic bullet. I had the same dialogue with my physician regarding the differences & similarities of OTC vs prescription-strength and came to the same conclusions.

I find that a preemptive strike with 800mg before and then after a grueling day can very much take the edge off. Occasionally a shot of Jack Daniels can help too, but may be contraindicated in some cases....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Black View Post
                      I find that a preemptive strike with 800mg before and then after a grueling day can very much take the edge off. Occasionally a shot of Jack Daniels can help too, but may be contraindicated in some cases....
                      Wow, I thought I was the only one that did this! This is why I go to Costco to purchase the big-ass jar of Ibuprofen, to support my habit. Actually, I've been a drummer for 42 of my 52 years, and play professionally on the weekends in the weddings/clubdates/casuals business here in the Northeast, steadily for the last 30+ years. It was a WHOLE sh*tload easier at one point, but the act of drumming for hours, plus the setup, teardown, long drives AND a regular job plus moonlighting (yes, I hustle to pay the bills) takes it's toll, and all you can really do is pop the pills and move on.

When I was half my age, the drugs of choice were MUCH different!
                      John R. Frondelli

Comment

A drummer/electronics geek....niiice. I'm a drummer myself of 30 years, but took up guitar shortly into that timeframe mainly to have something to play at anytime without makin' a buncha racket. Became a skilled player on both in short order and now I consider myself a "utility musician". I get a lot calls for fill in work on short notice....sometimes just a few hours. Since I am fluent in drums, guitar, and bass and sing as well I'm the first call guy around here when someone can't make a gig, quits, bla bla.

For some reason I never could grasp play'n keyboards. I can dial knobs on any old analog synth to get a certain sound, but I guess I don't have the mindset for that type of 2 hand coordination....
                        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
                        X