Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker cover

Hey guys,
    I want to reduce the effect that a cover has on the pickup (want to brighten it up) ... but the customer wants the "look" of the cover. So I'm wondering if there are covers out there that don't affect the audible functionality of the pickup. It's your standard sized humbucker.

Plastic covers are about the only ones that won't affect the tone.

Otherwise find nickel silver covers, not brass, and try to use the thinnest cover you can get.

Another thing you can do is make the pickup brighter than you need, and then the cover will knock some of that off.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've used these before with ok results.
      I agree that it helps to over Gauss, a little.
      You will lose a little brightness, but not near as bad as Brass.
      Terry
      Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Nickel Silver Humbucker Pickup Cover Nickel 49.2mm (1.94'')
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Otherwise find nickel silver covers, not brass, and try to use the thinnest cover you can get.
        Stainless steel is also good, about as good as nickel silver, but probably less common.

Comment

Some people have reported good luck cutting the covers (eddy current looping and all that stuff).... it would not look perfectly like a cover, but it would still be shiny, and if you have a steady hand you can do it so it looks attractive.

I don't think anyone has found a silver bullet for a metal cover that won't affect tone.... many have fought this battle before, and I don't think anyone has come up with anything spectacular, though some covers are better than others.

Comment

Axesrus - Pickup covers, Humbucker Covers and Mounting Rings.

Mojotone Nickel Silver Open Humbucker Pickup Cover Chrome

Only plastic covers won't affect the tone at all. Those depicted above are the lesser of all evils, specially the Mojo ones.

These are the best sounding for the buck:

Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Nickel Silver Humbucker Pickup Cover Nickel 49.2mm (1.94'')

Gibson and Seymour Duncan covers are excellent too. But they will cost ya...

HTH,
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I've used these before with ok results.
              I agree that it helps to over Gauss, a little.
              You will lose a little brightness, but not near as bad as Brass.
              Terry
              +1 on what Terry says here. I have just started using these covers on my 1.94" HB's and they don't effect the tone all that much when I do an A/B comparison. The corners are not exactly like the old ones, but I've seen worse and the price is good.

Comment

Working...
              X