have you guys seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have you guys seen this?

This is what happens when you drop neodymium magnets down a copper pipe. [VIDEO]

I'm dazzled

Very Cool!
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Love it. Is it just neodymium that does this? Copper will repel any magnetic field. The shape of the magnet has to be part of the story (for anyone hoping to recreate this)
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Currents are produces in the copper by the moving magnet (any magnet will do this) that in their own is forming a magnetic field that is directed against the field of the moving magnet, thus slowing the fall. The same idea is used for a non-friction breaks on rollercoasters.

There is probably someone that will drop in with a more sientific explanation any time soon...

I have actually done it myself to the great amusement of my kids. Wrap a sheat of this paper that displays magnetic fields (name?) arounf the pipe and you will see the movement of the magnet when it fallss.

Comment

Thats cool
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
            Currents are produced in the copper by the moving magnet (any magnet will do this) that in their own is forming a magnetic field that is directed against the field of the moving magnet, thus slowing the fall. The same idea is used for a non-friction breaks on rollercoasters.

There is probably someone that will drop in with a more scientific explanation any time soon...
            Lenz's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eddy Currents and Lenz's Law - YouTube

I have actually done it myself to the great amusement of my kids. Wrap a sheet of this paper that displays magnetic fields (name?) around the pipe and you will see the movement of the magnet when it falls.
            Magnetic Field Paper

Comment

it is eddy currents- they have a demo at the seattle science center where you can pass different metals between ceramic magnets, copper, aluminum etc, pretty interesting in a geeky way.

Comment

If I had $500 I'd buy a copper pipe and try it. Will it work with aluminum?

Comment

It will work with anything conductive. Try drilling a bunch of small holes in it. I think the results will change - significantly.
                  -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                    If I had $500 I'd buy a copper pipe and try it. Will it work with aluminum?
                    Yes. But iron/steel pipe won't work.

Comment

Working...
                    X