5e3 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 build?

Hey guys, I have a 5e3 build going and the only filter caps I have left are 22uf/450v. I know that the 5e3 calls for 16uf/475v ,but can I use the 22uf/450 caps instead?

Chuck.

22uf @ 450 will be fine so long as B+ voltages are ball park (350vdc to 385vdc) & you stick to a NOS 5Y3 and a 250ohm 6V6 cathode resistor.

Comment

You did say "the only filter caps I have left". If these have been languishing in a drawer for a few years it would be a good idea to charge them up slow with a current limiter or variac for 24 hours after the build is complete.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Over the many many years I've been doing this, I've checked out lots of great sounding old amps with seemingly good hi-v caps. And, used absurdly pricey test equipment on caps... the old great sounding amp's caps are almost NEVER even close to the advertised capacitance and most of the time they are actually 25%-35% higher in capacitance then the ink on them suggests.... so, after lots of big $$ test equipment, sound and ear testing... I simply stopped using 16uF-475v caps and went to 22uF-500v caps all the way across. I hear or feel no difference in sound, but there is lots less money in the modern 22uF-500v caps. The ATOM caps are now list pricing at over $10.00 each and since they are smaller then the ATOM caps... it seems easier to build the amp too.
        If use a decent/correct power tranny and a NOS 5Y3GT rectifier tube, I doubt you'll ever see more then 400vdc on your 450v caps anyhow.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks guys for your reply. I'm using Mercury Magnetics trannys and the rectifier is a 5y3 nos. So Bruce, I guess I'm good to go with these caps.

Chuck.

Comment

Working...
          X