Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E4 Super for harp?

I want to build a 5E4 Super for harp.
    (I like the sound of 10" speakers but don't want to lug a 3x10 or 4x10 around.)
    Any sugestions or mods?

Do you mean speaker suggestions or circuitry?
    The 6V6 Super with a Deluxe Reverb power transformer and 6K to 8k output tranny sounds great using a pair of inexpensive 10" AlNiCo speakers.
    Use a 5Y3GT or 5U4GB, 12AY7s and another lower gain phase inverter preamp tube.... use 1 watt plate load and cathode biasing resistors in the preamp tube circuitry and swap a NOS 12AU7 around in the three sockets for tone and feel.
    Bias the power tubes colder then you would for a guitar amp... .around 5-6 watts each
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

What trannies do you reccomend?

Hey Bruce,
      Thanks for the reply. What specific trannies do you recommend?
      I was going to start with a Weber kit. Are the speakers that come with it "cheap" enough?

Comment

The Weber kit with the Chinese transformers are OK to start with and the Sig 10" speakers are not really "cheap" (your description). They aren't bad for this project, I have used them with decent results.
        A harp amp does not need to be as dynamic as guitar amp. You want the amp to be good in the 120Hz to 3KHz range, so the inexpensive parts are not a road block.... tubes are important though.
        I'd shy away from too many Chinese $6.00 tubes.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
        X