5e3 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 build?

Hey guys , I'm getting some rattle from my 5e3 build and I can't seem to locate it. I believe it may be tube rattle but at this point I'm unsure. Are the 5e3's prone to tube rattles? If so ,would tube tamers help? I've went through the amp looking for anything loose but couldn't find anything. Any help identifing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.

I always use rubber grommets to shock mount my preamp tubes, this seems to help a lot.

Comment

Combo's are rattle boxes. If you've been playing through the amp at high volume for a long time it's possible that the power tubes are becoming microphonic. If you are using the stock cap values it could be crossover distortion from grid blocking. A preamp tube substitution is also something to try just 'cause. If it can't be isolated to an electronic or tube issue then it's a mechanical vibration in the cab or chassis. Did the amp ever NOT rattle?

I once built a small combo from spare parts. The chassis came from an old phonograph and did not have welded corners. It had a rattle that sounded more like a buzz that changed phase. I was already familiar with mechanical rattles but this sounded more like a parasitic oscillation and I checked and rechecked all my grounding and lead dress. When I reinstalled the chassis the sound changed slightly... Aha... It was one of the loose chassis corners. a little bend with a pair of pliers fixed it.

I've also seen combo's rattle from bad glue joints, loose speakers or hardware, at the fit between the chassis and cabinet, gril cloth against logo plates, you name it. Combo's rattle. Finding it and eliminating it can be a real PITA.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

5e3 rattle/

Hey chuckh, thanks for the reply. It turned out to be a preamp tube,I swapped it out for another and all is well. Thanks guys for your help,much appreciated.

Chuck.

Comment

Glad it was easy. I've obsessed over amp rattles for hours before finding them.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X