Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickups in Series

Hello everyone!
    Does anyone happen to have a schematic that puts single coil Strat pickups in series? Does someone out there have some cool mod for this?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	strat_bridge_and_middle_series_switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	822664

Comment

Faulty memory, but...

it seems like about 25 years ago I had a guitar magazine (Guitar Player or Guitar for the Practicing Musician) that had an article about re-wiring the middle pickup to be in-series and out-of-phase to provide a pseudo-humbucking effect. I tried it on a cheap clone I had at the time and sort of like it. I want to say it was a Craig Anderton article, but my memory ain't that great. Nice thing was, it was just involved un-soldering and re-doing a couple of connections using the standard 5-way switch -- but you couldn't toggle between the two. Maybe time to fire-up Google...

Comment

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
        it seems like about 25 years ago I had a guitar magazine (Guitar Player or Guitar for the Practicing Musician) that had an article about re-wiring the middle pickup to be in-series and out-of-phase to provide a pseudo-humbucking effect. I tried it on a cheap clone I had at the time and sort of like it. I want to say it was a Craig Anderton article, but my memory ain't that great. Nice thing was, it was just involved un-soldering and re-doing a couple of connections using the standard 5-way switch -- but you couldn't toggle between the two. Maybe time to fire-up Google...
        They make a 4-Way switch that does that for a Tele. I've not tried it, but wouldn't the volume jump up a bit when you go to the Series Mode?
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Volume difference

I can't remember if there was much volume difference between the series and parallel arrangement. The main difference was some noise-cancelling and more pronounced mid-range. Not a tremendous effect for chords, but helped make single-note and lead lines stand out. Because of the seperation, you can't get true humbucking, but it did help with single-coil noise. I know a diagram would be helpful, but I can't find a copy on the inter-tubes and I gave away my magazines years ago to a younger player.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I've not tried it, but wouldn't the volume jump up a bit when you go to the Series Mode?
            Yes, a little, and you get more low end. But that's why people wire their pickups in series. On a Strat it sort of simulates a humbucker tone.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That's a solid idea: good for bullish jazz/lead tones.
              Get the 4-Way switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
                That's a solid idea: good for bullish jazz/lead tones.
                Get the 4-Way switch.
                Why a 4 way switch? Why not a 5 way switch?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

The 4 way is for the Telecaster.
                  One posistion is bridge, neck, neck and bridge parallel, Bridge and neck series.
                  Not sure how you do the 5 way with a strat, unless you use the toggle switch like above.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Here is a schematic that I had quickly done sone weeks ago for another forum, on request:

http://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/15/35/39/05/cablag11.jpg

The DPDT switch number 1 puts the neck PU in parallel with the others.

The DPDT switch number 2 is the "series / Parallel" system mounted in two of my Strats. When enabled, it makes the 5 pos switch work like that: 1= bridge + mid in series. 2, 3, 4 = mid alone. 5 = mid + neck in series. When disabled, it makes the stuff work normally.

Please, keep in mind that some grounding wires lack in this schematic (I had done it a morning before to go to work so it's not a perfectly clear piece of design).

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      The 4 way is for the Telecaster.
                      One posistion is bridge, neck, neck and bridge parallel, Bridge and neck series.
                      Not sure how you do the 5 way with a strat, unless you use the toggle switch like above.
                      T
                      Oh I got it.

With a Strat, you would make one of the positions the middle and bridge in series. You would need a super switch to do it the right way. But you can do it with a 5 way switch that has five actual positions, and isn't bridging three.

Comment

Be sure to check out series out-of-phase, John. I usually wire up a push-pull phase switch on the tone control for my tele's with the 4-way switch which gives it a "honky" sound, like a wah pedal kicked back a bit. (I always associate that sound with Frank Zappa on "Hot Rats".)

Steve
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:
                        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                          Be sure to check out series out-of-phase, John. I usually wire up a push-pull phase switch on the tone control for my tele's with the 4-way switch which gives it a "honky" sound, like a wah pedal kicked back a bit. (I always associate that sound with Frank Zappa on "Hot Rats".)

Steve
                          Steve,

Try adding a stacked, concentric dual 500K pot wired as a variable resistor for independent control of each Telecaster pickup. Normal volume controls put the pickup leads on the outside pot connections and take the output off the center but the variable resistor arrangement puts the pickup leads on the outer and center connection and takes the output off the outer connection. When the phase switch is in the out-of-phase position vary one volume control slightly (within one tenth of a rotation) and you will get a nice variable varitone notch effect. This modification makes the Telecaster a more versatile instrument without modifying the mounting plate appearance. If you add a 4-way Telecaster switch, you need to file the switch slot on both ends to allow a little extra switch travel room.

Joseph Rogowski

Comment

Working...
                          X