Looking for alternate nickel-silver Tele cover supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for alternate nickel-silver Tele cover supply

Mojo is nice to work with, but recently their covers have been seriously warped and the tops have lots of scratches under the plating. All parts told me they sold nickel silver, but I bought one and it was the exact same brass one that stewmac sells.

Wondering if you guys have any other suppliers for these where you dont have to pay friggin 8 dollars a cover.

Thanks.

I take the bare nickel covers from mojo & buff them & on a buffing wheel they look ok but some are nasty & scratched & you don't notice it until you start getting a good shine on them & there is a scratch
    Are you talking about there chrome or bare covers ? if chrome i have not noticed any problems
    but if your having trouble with bare nickel covers i suggest wet sanding & buff
    I do like the tone of the Mojo cover compared to a brass Stewmac cover

Here's a pic of a Mojo & Stewmac cover ........
    the pic is not the best but you can see the brass & the nickel
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am talking about the chromed ones. Im now getting them with length wise lines right on the top.

Comment

Did you see Dave's thread about the nickel silver in the mojo HB baseplates? I wonder if they are from the same supplier and Mojo is fighting the same battle.

Comment

Im thinking they are - I talked to Tom over at mojo and he took my warped covers back - I suggested it might be a good idea to talk with the manufacturer about their deep drawing process etc. He said he would. I hate to bring up the scratches to him as a new thing but they are definitely noticeable. I used to polish for Callaham. I know that some of these covers have lines that are too apparent.

Comment

I got an order From Mojo a few days ago & all 15 tele chrome covers that i ordered are good with no scratches

Comment

Hm me too. Just this past week I got some...

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                I take the bare nickel covers from mojo & buff them & on a buffing wheel they look ok but some are nasty & scratched & you don't notice it until you start getting a good shine on them & there is a scratch
                If you are going through the trouble to buff them, you could just as easily remove the scratches and polish them up. Just use a different wheel with some compound.
                Last edited by David Schwab; 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM. Reason: Damn evil OS X Lion auto spelling correction...
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David I was just trying to give them a quick buff .not going up through different # grits which would do a great job

Comment

Working...
                  X