Overpriced Amp power cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpriced Amp power cord?

Earlier this month I saw an ad for a new type of Amp power cord that promised drastic improvement in tone and output. The claims appeared to be beyond the capabilities of a 115V cord.

The ad was in a popular guitar magazine, GW, GP or Premier Guitar. I've spent the last three days trying to locate the ad but it has either disappeared or I am losing my mind. I'd like to discuss the possibility that an electrical cord can do what this company claimed.

The price was between $100 and $180.

Did anyone else see this?

Thanks

NOTE: tongue in cheek
    What?
    You don't think "crystal pure" copper will make your audio equipment have better bass response?
    How about the connectors being machined from a single billet.
    This is how you achieve better sonic performance.
    You must be deaf if you cannot hear the difference.
    Link: Power cords: XLO Reference 2, Isotek & PS Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      NOTE: tongue in cheek
      What?
      You don't think "crystal pure" copper will make your audio equipment have better bass response?
      How about the connectors being machined from a single billet.
      This is how you achieve better sonic performance.
      You must be deaf if you cannot hear the difference.
      Link: Power cords: XLO Reference 2, Isotek & PS Audio
      That's the one, Isotek "...producing a more open airy sound."

$300 for a cord!

Comment

The PS and Isotek ads read like beautifully crafted poetry.

Comment

The "Audiofool" approach to guitar tone. Works all the time..... for suckers!!!!!

Remember, Jimi Hendrix cranked out some of the most awesome guitar playing and tone with standard power and guitar cables. COILED cables, nonetheless, plus stock Strats.

We banter about the minutia on this forum ad nauseum, but don't let ANYONE fool you. The tone, for the most part, is in your hands, heart and soul.

Companies like Monster Cable built empires by preying on people who are searching for the Holy Grail of sound. Most of it is just smoke & mirrors. Don't even THINK about spending that kind of $$$ on a power cord. Anyone who does that is worry too much about the gear and not enough about the playing.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Yeah, P.T Barnum was right.

The ad in the magazine caught my eye because the claims were so obviously over-blown, I had to laugh.

Comment

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughn simply loved coiled guitar cables (for the added capacitance)
                I wonder if he thought it made his tone "more airy"
                Whatever the heck that implies

Comment

"
                  Like all xStream power cables there is an outer jacket that actually cleans the AC as it powers your equipment. The Statement SC simply lets through more of what we want to feed our equipment than we ever thought possible.
                  "

Wait till I come out with my own line of power cables!

"
                  Our cables are made from virgin copper pulled from deepest mine in the world. Not only is this copper more pure than any copper on earth, it benefits from eons of proximity to the earth's core. At these depths, magnetic flux conditions the copper so that it can only pass optimally sized electrons. On the strength of the raw materials alone our cables are better than anything else on the market, hands down. But we don't stop there in our relentless pursuit of superiority. Our manufacturing process has been awarded the medal of excellence by the American Association of Rare Earth Metallurgists. In fact, we blindfold all of our workers *while they are working* because our technology is so advanced. We do all of this so that we can provide you the very best cable that money can buy and the universe can make. Power cables from cminor9: the best in the universe!
                  "
                  In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by mithogo View Post
                    The PS and Isotek ads read like beautifully crafted poetry.
                    Oh well, in that case, you're paying for the ad..

-g

Comment

Ah well, the statute of limitations has run out by now...

I recall from my hippie days (yes, I was card-carrying hippie), hashish was a popular commodity. Hash as it was more popularly known. I haven;t been around the drug scene for 40+ years, so I don;t know if the stuff is even still around. If not, think of it as conentrated blocks of marijuana. You didn't buy a chunk of hash without it came with a good story. "This is TEMPLE hash, from the so and so temple of someplace Asian. They run young virgin girls through the pot fields naked, and the pot resins collect on their skin as they run. They then scrape the resins off their young virgin skin and make the hash from that."

Well how could you go wrong with that?

From the deepest copper mines, close proximity to the earth's core, optimally sized electrons. This is good stuff. They didn't mention it, but are those blindfolded workers virgins, by any chance?
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        From the deepest copper mines, close proximity to the earth's core, optimally sized electrons. This is good stuff. They didn't mention it, but are those blindfolded workers virgins, by any chance?
                        Heck yes! Blind virgins, in fact. The blindfolds are just, you know, to be sure! Also, we can claim our products stand up to a.... wait for it.... a double blind test!
                        In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                          "
                          Like all xStream power cables there is an outer jacket that actually cleans the AC as it powers your equipment. The Statement SC simply lets through more of what we want to feed our equipment than we ever thought possible.
                          "

Wait till I come out with my own line of power cables!

"
                          Our cables are made from virgin copper pulled from deepest mine in the world. Not only is this copper more pure than any copper on earth, it benefits from eons of proximity to the earth's core. At these depths, magnetic flux conditions the copper so that it can only pass optimally sized electrons. On the strength of the raw materials alone our cables are better than anything else on the market, hands down. But we don't stop there in our relentless pursuit of superiority. Our manufacturing process has been awarded the medal of excellence by the American Association of Rare Earth Metallurgists. In fact, we blindfold all of our workers *while they are working* because our technology is so advanced. We do all of this so that we can provide you the very best cable that money can buy and the universe can make. Power cables from cminor9: the best in the universe!
                          "
                          HAAAAA!!!!! You lost me at the "blind" part, but the rest of it read like a typical audiophile bullsh*t ad. Well-written dude! Perhaps you SHOULD market your own line of cables. If you sell one a day at $500 with a 50% margin, you're doing good.

I'd change the blind workers line to "Vestal Virgins". Their pureness would inhibit the contamination of the freshly-mined copper. LOL!
                          John R. Frondelli
                          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Just like lotteries are a tax on people with math impairments, overpriced hype part are a tax on being naive or gullible.
                            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Good point, RG, but most folks are... blind... to that.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X