Vox variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox variations

Hi, I'm researching what to build with a set of AC30 Vox transformers. I picked up a cheap set of PT OT Choke that are Dagnalls and seem to be the same "official" replacement set on AES. They were removed by a tech for upgrades on existing amps. I also have a couple of Telefunken EF86 that I found in an old stereo so I'm probably/maybe going to include a channel that has a 12*X7 feeding the Ef86 and maybe try the morph control on the EF86 that Tubeswell has documented here.
    I'm not an expert on Vox tones so don't have a clear idea about what to aim for other than a good clean channel and a good drive channel. I'll probably not have tremelo or reverb but I've got a big chassis so I'll leave some room in the layout for future use. Also I might pass on the tube rectification and 16uf filter caps unless that is a heresy.
    If anyone has ideas about other vox variants or build experience I'd love to hear your thoughts. TIA Joe.

Have you looked at the Ken Fisher take on the AC30 top boost, called the Rocket?
    You could add your EF86 channel à la Vox and end up with a two channel EF86 / Top Boost typology with more filtering.
    It is a tidy little circuit so you will have room for later, if you find you feel the need.
    Best, tony
    Last edited by overtone; 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Thanks for that, I've heard of the Rocket before and I've just got some docs from the amp garage. So the Liverpool single channel is a close relative of the top boost circuit? I have the Vox service engineer's guide so I'll check the schems out.

Comment

To my mind the Rocket, not the Liverpool, is essentially the AC30 top-boost channel, but with a different power supply. I think Mr Fisher was shooting for slightly lower voltages and a tighter sound when overdriven.

Having built a couple of the Rockets, it seems to me to be quite tolerant to adventures with different layouts. There have been many different versions of the power amp end, with various octal tubes, by others. There is a huge Partridge 200W OT sitting here and the devil in me wants to build a 4x KT88 Rocket, luckily I don't have the time for such naughtiness right now.

Comment

Sorry I meant to say Rocket not Liverpool. The mind was stuck on the Beatles-Liverpool-Vox issue

Comment

Working...
          X