Wood grinder /Pickup winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood grinder /Pickup winder

Under my user name you see this (Wood grinder /Pickup winder )
    this is why...........CMI C-250 HURRICANE - YouTube
    ... I spend my winters out in the bush cutting seismic lines with one of these ...I hope your not a tree hugger ..most guitar builders aren't
    I wanted to share this because i'm going to convert it into a pickup winder ...............................maybe on a episode of Monster Garage
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Hey CHR!

Was that you driving??? I LOVE IT!!! That looks like it would be really fun for the first week or two. Probably turns into a job after that, like anything, but Yeee Haww!!

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      ...I hope your not a tree hugger ..most guitar builders aren't
      I'd have to disagree with that. All the luthiers I know are very conscious about not wasting wood and conserving nature. I personally generate very little scrap wood while making an instrument.

Cutting a tree down for lumber is wood that's going to be used. Cutting a tree down and chipping it is a waste of a tree.

If we cut enough trees down we will start to see a decline is living things on the planet, and that includes us. (this is starting to happen already)
      Last edited by David Schwab; 08-26-2011, 06:30 PM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That is a noisy little bugger, it looks a lot like a snowblower. Most of the northeast is filled with 2nd growth trash trees anyway, nothing lost here though i'd probably press it into stove pellets if anyone was looking. As a pickup winder, I think you're on the right track with this, lots of potential.

Comment

This is just an example I found on YouTube of the model of mulcher we use
          We cut sciesmic lines but there just trails & we use gps for navigation
          So we avoid any large trees Just go around them
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            Most of the northeast is filled with 2nd growth trash trees anyway, nothing lost here...
            Except wilderness? Humans won't be happy until the entire planet is paved with asphalt and has a few parks here and there.

Trees aren't just for people to make into things. Animals live in them, and they contribute to our oxygen, etc.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Trees are a renewable Resource.
              Young growing trees put off more oxygen than old stagnant trees.
              The Problem with this country is the over a million acres annually that is taken up by Urban Sprawl.
              Once Farm and timber land is put in a surburb or Parking lot it's gone more or less forever.
              I co-habit my 20 Acres here with all the Little Animals.
              B_T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Trees are a renewable Resource.
                Young growing trees put off more oxygen than old stagnant trees.
                The Problem with this country is the over a million acres annually that is taken up by Urban Sprawl.
                Once Farm and timber land is put in a surburb or Parking lot it's gone more or less forever.
                I co-habit my 20 Acres here with all the Little Animals.
                B_T
                You are right. What I hate to see is like down the road from me where they are cutting down an old but healthy oak tree just so they can do yard work on a house, or put in a driveway or some such thing. The tree was there before any of these people were alive, and would probably outlive all of them.

And of course none of that wood will be used for lumber.

Comment

You need to get some of it and make Guitars.
                  Don't know what kind of oak, but a guitar out of oak would be pretty.
                  I have a Dining room table that is light oak and it is gorgeous IMO.
                  When the gun companies buy a Walnut tree, they dig up the roots and all to make the fancy gun stocks out of.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

You need to get some of it and make Guitars.
                    Don't know what kind of oak, but a guitar out of oak would be pretty.
                    I have a Dining room table that is light oak and it is gorgeous IMO.
                    When the gun companies buy a Walnut tree, they dig up the roots and all to make the fancy gun stocks out of.
                    T
                    The problem with trees from residential areas is that you have to resaw it yourself. Saw mills won't touch it, hence most of it ends up as wood chips.

How's this for an oak top guitar?

Korina body, curly oak top, with a layer of purpleheart between, and a poplar neck. It's a great sounding guitar.

Comment

All of the maple on my electrics comes from areas they cut to put up new housing developments in BC. Waste all depends on the format of the wood. I use poplar for kerfing. I use 16 ft boards. I get MAYBE 1 to 1.5% waste and that is only from cracks in the board or I'd be getting 0.5% waste (excluding the waste created in sawdust from the kerf of the blades).

I'm trying to get more green and compost some of the dust and shavings too.

Though I must say I really dont like the term luthier.

Comment

Too much like Lutherans?

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                          Though I must say I really dont like the term luthier.
                          How about "guitarier"?

Unless you insist on building lutes.

I like luthier myself.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            How about "guitarier"?

Unless you insist on building lutes.

I like luthier myself.
                            Luthier is ok but the term gets used way to loose.
                            Most of us me included are Hacks, not Luthiers.
                            I think of Luthier as a Master Builder that Makes Cello's and Violins, not someone that Beats on POTs and Tuners.
                            Just a thought!
                            B_T
                            Terry

Comment

I think of Luthier as a Master Builder that Makes Cello's and Violins, not someone that Beats on POTs and Tuners.
                              It means lute maker, but is used for guitars as well as violins.

People that don't build from scratch would be stringed instrument repairmen(persons).

Comment

Working...
                              X