Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammond 1620 OT, use with which tube set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond 1620 OT, use with which tube set.

I'm getting close to finishing my "Deluxe Reverb" clone, and I have a Heyboer OT. My friend sent me a Hammond 1620, (with multi output taps), that I'm tempted to use. However, I have most of what I need to build a "Vibrolux" clone, and wonder if I should save it for that build. Fender spec's the "Deluxe" OT at 6.6K primary, like the 1620, yet I have, (somebody's), tube transformer DIY book that lists using this OT with 6L6 tubes.
    Any thoughts, Thanks.

Hey Bill

Hammond shows that to have a 6.6k primary. Hammond Mfg. - "Classic" Push-Pull - Tube Output Transformers - (1608 - 1620, 1645 & 1650 Series)
    I used a similar OT (same specs) for my Deluxe Reverb clone. Fender Output Transformer, Deluxe & Deluxe Reverb, 125A1A & 022640, 8 Ohm

I don't see any reason why that OT wouldn't work.

A finished deluxe reverb clone is a thing of beauty!
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Well... Unless you can use the Heyboer for something else I'd say build with the Heyboer (it is made for this project, right?) and save the Hammond for the Vibrolux. The 1620 should be good to about 20 clean watts. I use the 1608 (rated 10 watts) for 20 watters all the time. These amps live dimed and are putting out over 20 watts.

Ignore the multiple secondaries on the 1620. They're UL taps for the screens. Unless your planning to build a UL Vibrolux???
      Last edited by Chuck H; 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the advice, If I use it with 6L6's, will I still see the same output impedance, 4-8-16, or will it become 8-16-32? I have a couple of C10N's (1969), that I plan on using with the AA964 circuit, and need to use a 4 ohm tap.
        I'm confused, as the tube manuals desired load is not what Leo used in the blackface circuits. Is it really not as critical as I think it is?

Comment

I usually run my pri Z like the examples in the specs. I've tried going with more typical "guitar amp" impedances (as in much lower) and I really only like it with el34's above 400V. The 6l6's should be very happy with a 6.6k pri Z at any typical voltage. So IME running through the 4 ohm arrangement should be fine. It's up to you if you like the tone. I think the lower pri Z thing was mostly done on BF amps so it may depend on which Vibrolux you want to build.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks to all, I guess I have Ot's for both amps!

Comment

Working...
            X