Weber Tranny for 5e3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Tranny for 5e3?

Hey guys ,I have a new set of weber trannys that are 20-25 watts. Weber's website says they are rated for a Deluxe,Tweed Tremolux,Deluxe reverb,Weber 6m18. What i want to know is can I use these trannys in a 5e3 and if so would I have to use 6l6's instead of 6v6's or would 6v6's be ok?

Chuck.

Well, I dry fitted the Weber trannys on the 5e3 chassis and they line up perfectly. Anyone have any idea if I can use these with the 5e3 circuit?

Chuck.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Yes, of course you can....use standard 6V6GTs and find a NOS 5Y3GT rectifier to use... not Russian or Chinese.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Hey Bruce, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
            Hey guys ,I have a new set of weber trannys that are 20-25 watts. Weber's website says they are rated for a Deluxe,Tweed Tremolux,Deluxe reverb,Weber 6m18. What i want to know is can I use these trannys in a 5e3 and if so would I have to use 6l6's instead of 6v6's or would 6v6's be ok?

Chuck.
            Generally you can use 6V6s with any set of trannies that are rated for 6L6s. You would want to double the speaker load on the OT to get around 8k Primary Z for the 2 x 6V6s in PP (about 1/2 that for 2 x 6L6s in PP).

As far as the PT goes each 6V6 draws about 450mA from the filament winding (compared to 900mA for each 6L6), and a B+ winding capable of about 70mA minimum (maybe 80-100mA for good measure) will be alright for 2 x 6V6s in PP, whereas you want at least 150mA for 2 x 6L6s in a 5E3 type topology. If you're using a 5Y3G tube rectifier with the 6V6s, you need a 5V 2A winding, and you'll want between about 325-0-325VAC to 350-0-350VAC on the B+ winding.
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
            X