Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha P3200 Temp Light on

Hey everyone...

Bought a Yamaha P3200 in 1998 and it has served me very well over the years playing on the wedding circuit. In the last month sometimes the temp light comes on even when the amp has a light or no load.

This evening and two weeks ago the temp light was on as soon as the unit was turned on, cold out of the box. Makes no sense. It doesn`t happen all the time, every fourth use perhaps. In this instance after 10 mins of the amp being turned on it went out.

In another instance I had a portable fan turned on and the moment I turned it off the``pop`turned the temp light off. I don`t use the fan often so I can`t see how that could affect the amp`s temp light.

Speakers are Peavy SP5G`s and Numark`s CD Mix 1 is my mixing console. Running in Stereo mode. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I don`t know much about electronics.

PS: I blow the fans out on an annual basis and really have babied the amp over the years.

First off, there are two sensors for temperature.
    One on each output channel.
    These two sensors are also used for fan speed control.
    Do the fans run faster when the Temp LED lights?
    I have attached the schematic for the temp circuit.
    (it is not a board layout)
    On the upper left is the temp sensor header.
    Make sure this header is not working it self loose.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ball up your fist and whack the top of it. does that trigger the light? Or make it go off? And does the amp makes noises when hit? ANy of those things means there is aloose connection inside.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the input - I'm gonna take it apart this week and see what's going on... good call on the fist as it seems that weird.

If the temp light stayed on all night I wouldn't expect the unit to shut down under normal loads, or could something trigger the protection?

All for shits and giggles!

Comment

We don't know what is wrong yet, so we cannot predict performance. For all we know it is just a stuck light driver.

Oh, and if your fist is too crude, you can always go the official route and use a rubber mallet. Banging on it is a legitimate way to expose loose connections.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X