Ampeg SVT-CL 240V, fan voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-CL 240V, fan voltage?

What is the voltage for a replacement fan in a 240V Ampeg SVT-CL? The amp came with a blown fan so an upgrade to a high quality lo-noise fan is needed.
    The schematics give no information about fan voltage.
    Any information is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Zouto

I do not have the schematic but all the old SVTs used fans running right off the mains. Have you measured the supply voltage at the fan connector, with the fan disconnected?
    A couple solid state power section/tube preamp section Ampegs used a fan in series with the heaters of the preamp tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zouto View Post
      What is the voltage for a replacement fan in a 240V Ampeg SVT-CL? The amp came with a blown fan so an upgrade to a high quality lo-noise fan is needed.
      The schematics give no information about fan voltage.
      I think that it is written directly on the fan. If not, looking at the schematic you can see that it is connected directly to the mains voltage in case of 117V power supply, and to the half of the primary windings in case of 230V power supply. So it seems that it is 117V. Of course you need to pay attention to connect it to correct voltage. Wasn't the fan incorrectly connected to 240V instead of 117V? Maybe it was the reason why it failed .

Mark

Comment

According to the schematic, the fan is wired different for 110 & 220 line input.
        110= J14 & J15
        220= J16 & J15.
        I would measure the voltage across J15 & J16.
        That will indicate what the fan voltage should be.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank y'all for your help. Measuring the voltage at the connector I got a value of 117V AC, exactly as Markus wrote. The old blown fan has no labelling at all, it is a no-name absolute cheesy lo-budget model.
          I'll replace it with a PAPST 8500N fan.

Comment

Multicomp PN 9606238
            AC 220-240V
            .09/.08 Amp

Comment

Originally posted by hodgy View Post
              Multicomp PN 9606238
              AC 220-240V
              .09/.08 Amp
              I think that this is incorrect information. With 117V fan the amp can be used both with 117V and 230V (rewired as Jazz listed below). With 230V fan you can use the amp only with 230V (even if you have 117/230V transformer). So there is a reason why the fan is 117V and this is clearly visible on the schematic.

Mark

Comment

The whole point here is that in the 120v mode, the fan is across the whole mains. In 240v mode, there are two transfomer primaries in series, so the fan is across one of them. I doubt the design idea was done to make the amp convertable as much as it was simply a way to only stock ONE type of fan. Then depending upon where the amp was going to go, they selected one or the other little post for one of the wires.

The terminal posts are there so one could just as easily stick a 240v fan in there. Just use the correct terminals for the fan motor voltage.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
                  I think that this is incorrect information. With 117V fan the amp can be used both with 117V and 230V (rewired as Jazz listed below). With 230V fan you can use the amp only with 230V (even if you have 117/230V transformer). So there is a reason why the fan is 117V and this is clearly visible on the schematic.

Mark
                  This is the fan we are putting into 230-240V Heritage CLs.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgy View Post
                    This is the fan we are putting into 230-240V Heritage CLs.
                    OK, I understand. Does it mean that there is also 117V Heritage CL amp? I assumed that there is only 1 version of the amp, which can be rewired to specific mains voltage. It looks I was wrong . Sorry.
                    I don't know where the OP if from but if he is from the States, 240V fan may not work for him :-).

Mark

Comment

In the original line of the original post it says "240 V".
                      You are correct that there is only one version of the Heritage CL, rewired for 100, 120, 220, 230, and 240V. We use one fan for 100 and 120, and the above-metioned fan for 220, 230, and 240 V units.

Comment

So by using a 220Volt fan, the option of returning to a 110Volt amp is what?
                        I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          So by using a 220Volt fan, the option of returning to a 110Volt amp is what?
                          I'm confused.
                          I'm also confused. It means that you can buy this amp in the States, export it to Europe and use it there but you cannot buy the amp in Europe, export it to the States and use it there (although the power transformer can be easily rewired to 117V).
                          Most probably export from Europe to the States rarely happens but what if it does? One has to buy another fan (and pay for installing it). I think that the "old solution" (one fan for all versions) was much better.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X