Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster bobbin

Hi All,
    anyone know the height of a Jazzmaster bobbin.
    Thanx
    Attached Files

Originally posted by EtLa View Post
    Hi All,
    anyone know the height of a Jazzmaster bobbin.
    Thanx
    I think it is like 1/8th. Jason would know for sure so would most guys here, i think it's 1/8th though.

Comment

my brother have 67' Jazzmaster and I take measurement about two years ago and didn't take any note I think it was more like 3/16"

Comment

I've got a dead one stuck to the fridge. it is about 7/32 " Dunno if its vintage, Jap, or reissue. The ends are flared, but 7/32 is the interior at the narrowest.

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but I found this on Duncan's website.
          Attached Files

Comment

thanx all, Sweetfinger does your jazzmaster pickups looks like the vintage one on this picture? Thank you.
            Attached Files

Comment

thanx all, Sweetfinger does your jazzmaster pickups looks like the vintage one on this picture? Thank you.
              I'm amazed that Fender just can't get the vintage reproductions right.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The one on the fridge looks somewhere between the two pictured. The other bobbin dimensions don't match the ones given on the Duncan diagram - I'd guess mine isn't a true vintage unit. Somewhere around here I have a set of recent American vintage reissues but they are buried in a box which currently eludes capture.

Comment

I've got a '59 Jazzmaster (gold anodized pickguard) in need of restoration. I'll see if I can dig up the pickups (they don't work). I seem to remember them being 1/8"
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    I've got a '59 Jazzmaster (gold anodized pickguard) in need of restoration. I'll see if I can dig up the pickups (they don't work). I seem to remember them being 1/8"
                    I agree, 1/8th seems to stick out in my mind, I think Jason Told me that a long time ago. The new vintage re-issues are way too wide. I'm with you David, why the hell cant they get that part right??? Is it a money thing, I just dont understand the logic?????????

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
                      I agree, 1/8th seems to stick out in my mind, I think Jason Told me that a long time ago. The new vintage re-issues are way too wide. I'm with you David, why the hell cant they get that part right??? Is it a money thing, I just dont understand the logic?????????
                      Well, you know the saying...."They don't make 'em the way they used to"....... With all the modern technology and manufacturing methods at their disposal, you'd think it would be a cinch for Fender or anybody else for that matter, to come out with decent re-issues. But such is not the case, unfortunately.

Comment

Cool!
                        Thanks to you guys I really appreciate it.

Is it possible that CBS have there own spec to.
                        Leo 1/8
                        CBS 7/32
                        Reissue ~1/4

But is it possible too to wind 8.5K on a 1/8 bobbin with 42AWG magnet wire

Comment

But is it possible too to wind 8.5K on a 1/8 bobbin with 42AWG magnet wire
                          What are the originals wound to? I'd guess they must be about 8k?

The problem with the 1/4 bobbin, as you can see in the photo, is the coil is too narrow and tall... it just wont sound the same as the original. It will be more Strat like. Maybe they did that on purpose?

They are cool guitars, but I was never crazy about the tone of those pickups. The sound reminds me too much of the Beach Boys! The guy in the RHCP gets some cool tones though.

Comment

What are the originals wound to? I'd guess they must be about 8k?
                            You're right here it is said "The pickups measure at just under 8k" http://www.provide.net/~cfh/jazzma58.html
                            Seymour antiquity's are wound to 8.3K
                            http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...tml#jazzmaster

The problem with the 1/4 bobbin, as you can see in the photo, is the coil is too narrow and tall... it just wont sound the same as the original. It will be more Strat like.
                            Yes and that's exactly what a client with a jazzmaster re-issue don't want.

I will make a try at 1/8...

Comment

Working...
                            X