Eddy currents in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddy currents in action

The reason the plate takes so long to fall in the MRI machine's magnetic field is that the motion causes eddy currents whose magnetic fields oppose the original magnetic field (Lenz's Law).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxC-AEC0ROk

If you don't see the film clip, try a different browser. Flash must be installed.

so, resistance.........the plate was repelling against the magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
      so, resistance.........
      Eh??

the plate was repelling against the magnet?
      Yes. Well, the motion of the plate in a magnetic field caused eddy currents to be generated in the plate, and by Lenz's Law, these currents flow in the direction to generate a magnetic field opposing the original magnetic field. So the plate is in effect pushing against the oiginal field. Once the plate stops moving, no more force.

You can also see this by letting a strong magnet slide down a copper or aluminum plate set at an angle. Or drop a rare earth magnet down a piece of copper waterpipe. It will fall very slowly.

Comment

I thought I was too old...

..to learn new stupid bar tricks! I've just been dropping magnets down everything in the shop. Freakin' COOL!

Comment

This is also how the breaks work on roller coasters.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I got your eddy currents right here.

"Are you boys the police?"

"No ma'am....we're musicians."

Comment

Working...
            X