Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A beginner would like to start with a tele bridge. Help building a shopping list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A beginner would like to start with a tele bridge. Help building a shopping list?

After ten years of wanting to try pickup winding but never finding the time I've decided to finally make it happen. (Thanks to Jason Lollar for his book and inspriring this interest many years ago on ampage, I'm finally going to put together that winder )

For this first attempt I want to keep it simple and do a tele bridge pickup. I like the sound of the seymour duncan antiquity II and it's a well known pickup so I thought I might be able to use that as the model for my first attempt. Unfortunately I know very little about what I need to do to make one similar to it. I know it has:

- alnico 5 magnets (I think). Length? Diameter?
    - a ferrous baseplate. Material? Thickness? Does that contact the pole pieces or is it insulated from it?
    - it's wound to 6.4k but which wire gauge?

Any help filling in those question marks would be appreciated. The SD website also list an inductance of 2.1 henries and a Q of 2.05. I have an L/C meter but I don't know if that info is of any use to me. Any other specs or tricks I should be aware of?

Check out this thread it has a link to the PicupPedia with Specs.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t25865/
    There are several specs for Tele Bridges, but most are hotter than that.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

You can get kits for Tele bridge pickups.

Here's one:

STEWMAC.COM : Parts Kit for Tele Bridge Pickup

Here's another:

Mojotone Vintage Tele Pickup Kit (Bridge)

That's a good way to get started with pickup winding. Now you have all the parts, and just have to wind it. You also have to magnetize the magnets, but that isn't hard.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks guys. So is it less about getting the same type and height of magnets and more about how many winds you make then?

Comment

You can experiment with different types of magnets and winding too.

There is no right or wrong, just what sounds good to you.

But with either roy those kits, they will give you an idea of how to wind it. Then you can take it from there.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X