Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a dumb question (6L6GC vs. 5881WXT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a dumb question (6L6GC vs. 5881WXT)

Power tubes just died in my amp. The amp came stock with 4 Sovtek 5881WXTs (sort of cold and lifeless; harmonics are nowhere to be found).

I was gonna replace them with some Electro-harmonix 6L6GCs, but I've heard that replacing 5881s with certain types of 6L6s may damage the amp. Anyone know about this?

Also, if anyone's tried Electro-harmonix power tubes and can give me some info on them, that'd be great. I recently put some EH 12ax7s in an old amp and the improvement was INCREDIBLE. I'm wondering if their power tubes are as good.
    Delay and wah... that's almost one pedal too many.

Originally posted by AndyM View Post
    Power tubes just died in my amp. The amp came stock with 4 Sovtek 5881WXTs (sort of cold and lifeless; harmonics are nowhere to be found).

I was gonna replace them with some Electro-harmonix 6L6GCs, but I've heard that replacing 5881s with certain types of 6L6s may damage the amp. Anyone know about this?

Also, if anyone's tried Electro-harmonix power tubes and can give me some info on them, that'd be great. I recently put some EH 12ax7s in an old amp and the improvement was INCREDIBLE. I'm wondering if their power tubes are as good.
    You can replace the 5881s with 6L6s.
    I did just that in my Traynor YCS50 It came with the 5881wxt Tubes.
    I replaced them with the SovTek 6L6 WXT+ Tubes and there was the difference of night and day.
    Much better tone and Harmonics.
    The EH6L6 is the upgraded version of the Sovtek 6L6WXT+.
    If you like the EH 12AX7s, try the Tung Sol 12AX7s.
    They are the best sounding new Issue 12AX7 I've tried, IMO.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Sovtek "5881" is not really a 5881, its a heavy duty 6L6 type. The Tung Sol reissue 5881 is a copy of the real 5881 which has lesser plate current and voltage specs. You can't use a real 5881 in place of a 6L6, but you can go the other way around....the 6L6 will just be loafing along in a 5881 circuit.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
      X