El34, 6l6, 6v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El34, 6l6, 6v6

I'm ordering a custom amp with two preamp circuits, one Bassman style, one Plexi style. The amp has a JTM 45 style power stage.

I'm wondering what the different power tubes (EL34s,6L6s,6V6s) would sound like and what wattage they would produce in an amp that produces 40 watts with two EL34s. The amp was originally designed for 50 watts but the maker said he could make it 40 watts so it could take 6V6s.

Apparently the amp design allows for swapping in nearly any power tubes so bias shouldn't be a problem.

Just wondering what wattage and tonal variations to expect.

Russ

Originally posted by russ_guitarboy View Post
    I'm ordering a custom amp with two preamp circuits, one Bassman style, one Plexi style. The amp has a JTM 45 style power stage.
    Isn't that like ordering a Mercury Comet, with a Ford Maverick engine?

Comment

Maybe

Maybe, but hey if it sounds as good as I've heard his amps do for $945, I'm game.

Besides I don't want to sound exactly like someone else, I just want to be able to pull off those styles with some vintage style tone.

If anyone out there has anything helpful to add that would be appreciated.

Comment

Russ,

In my experience, the 6L6 tubes will give you the most watts. To my ears, 6L6 tubes give the clearest, most open sound. The El34's and 6V6's will produce lower wattages and will probably break up sooner when pushed. The EL34's can tend to produce a crunchy, bright sort of breakup while the 6V6's distort more smoothly.

I am a big fan of 6V6 tubes. They just seem to be the best fit for my style of guitar playing, but you should certainly experiment with all three to find your favorites. Hang on to your second and third choices, though! You may find your ears adjust to them over time - plus it's just fun to swap tubes! :-)

You may also want to try a couple of different preamp tubes with each of the three power tube choices. Sometimes, a hot 12ax7 can cause an otherwise great-sounding power tube to sound odd. A 12at or 12ay can bring out the best in some power tubes.

Congrats on your new amp! Have fun.

Ed
        www.PhilosoPhrets.com

Comment

The reason he dropped the wattage is because he had to drop the voltage which is what Sweetfinger was relating to just in a different analogy and the fact that the 6V6 is a 12 watt tube and the 6L6 is a 23 to 30 watt tube depending on which one you get. The 6v6 will not run on 6L6 plate voltage without distroying the tube. At least not current production 6V6's. I heard some stories about NOS 6V6's that have a red streak down the center of the plates that lasted for years running like that but it is a cause for concern when you see it yourself. What would really be ideal and maybe it has it is a switch that lowers the plate voltage and bias when running 6V6's and back up to 6L6's when switched. Another problem is the 6V6 and 6L6 plate impedances are different meaning the OT likes to see a different primary impedance so the two sound different besides just a tube change. The EL-34 brings in a 3rd scenario but like the 6L6 setup better than the 6V6.
          KB

Comment

Originally posted by Amp Kat View Post
            The reason he dropped the wattage is because he had to drop the voltage which is what Sweetfinger was relating to just in a different analogy...
            Actually, I was kinda poking fun at the half bassman, half plexi pre-amp with a JTM output section. These are essentially all the same amp, just as the Mercury Comet and Maverick are the same car, different trim. Three on a tree baby!!

Comment

The JJ 6V6's are rated for up to 500v plate and 450v screen and will hold up fine in most 6L6 applications.....

Comment

Working...
              X