Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

34 lbs. of force from Neo bar mag enough to charger alnico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 lbs. of force from Neo bar mag enough to charger alnico?

I got these by accident on Amazon because the vendor was out of the ones I really wanted.

Amazon.com: N40 4" x 1/2" x 1/4" Block, Package of 2 Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets: Home Improvement

I'm wondering 1) whether they are suitable for charging pickups, and 2) whether the "force" rating is sufficient to gauge their suitability

They are N42, 4" x 1/2" x 1/4" - charged through the narrowest dimension : (

you can get them a lot cheaper
    neodymium magnets | eBay
    i would with something a little bigger
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Kindly Killer View Post
      I got these by accident on Amazon because the vendor was out of the ones I really wanted.

Amazon.com: N40 4" x 1/2" x 1/4" Block, Package of 2 Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets: Home Improvement

I'm wondering 1) whether they are suitable for charging pickups, and 2) whether the "force" rating is sufficient to gauge their suitability

They are N42, 4" x 1/2" x 1/4" - charged through the narrowest dimension : (

But since you have them, you could try something like this:

Find an old drill press vice; put one magnet on each jaw.
      Pad with tape (essential).
      Open jaws enough so that you can put humbucker magnet on one of the neos easily.
      Close the jaws until both magnets are in contact with humbucker magnet.
      Open the jaws and remove the humbucker magnet.

This works fine for me: full magnetization and uniform results.
      I used a line of disks, but your magnets are probably better.

Comment

Just so you get a picture of what Mike is talking about, and because i have a picture....

I don't normally charge up alnico magnets, so this was just a quick and dirty setup using some neos I already had. It worked fine recharging this Mustang pickup though. I like to bring the pickup in one end and out the other, and repeat that several times.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Okay thanks for all replies so far. Much appreciated.

Here's what I'm still curious about: are there any known, specific criteria for neo bar mags for charging humbucker A5 bars? How should I evaluate the suitability of the ones I have? How did you know that the one I bought are unsuitable? Is it as simple as the thickness? Gauss?

Another question: what about stacking the neo bars? Would it be helpful to stack them on each side of the vice so I have 1/2" of neo pulling each way? K&J Magnetics - FAQ

Cheap: I paid $17 for four mags, no tax or shipping. Next size up in the link provided is closer to $200. May I get a link to the specific ones I need on eBay?

Comment

I get my neos from K&J. Stacking them does increase their power. Just about any large neo is strong enough tho charge an alnico magnet.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have some small Neos that I stack, I have not had any trouble charging even A8s to full charge.
              I prefer the smaller non Dangerous sizes.
              B_T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Okay I am getting the impression that I'm on the right track. Thanks for all help.

Today I also populated the fine Gaussmeter board/PIC I got from Elepro [THANKS!] so I am monkeying with the vice technique and measuring results.

It seems nothing is simple with pickups. I notice that one side always comes out a little stronger; is there an ideal technique to pulling the alnico humbucker magnet off the bigger neo mag in the vice? Am I knocking down the power by pulling it off straight? Should I slide it off the side? Twist? If twist, which axis?

Comment

Working...
                X