Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I know about older Vox pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I know about older Vox pickups?

I've been helping the widow of a friend slowly sell off the contents of his collection. As a British ex-pat, he naturally had to get himself a Hank Marvin style red Strat. Poking around through the basement the other week, we also came across what is either a Vox Phantom or a repro (I'll have to look for some distinguishing marks) from Phantom Guitars. It is a Brian Jones model with 3 pickups. I haven't plugged it in yet, so there may be no issues, and it is ready for sale. Still, I'm curious about those pickups. Anybody know anything about 'em?

jonson seems to be the man to ask.

Comment

Maybe so. But who is that? A member, a business?

Comment

If It's a Brain Jones model it should be a teardrop (pear shaped) and not a Phantom (pentagonal shaped).
        Brian endorsed the Vox Teardop starting with the MK111 and that was two pickup not three. Phantom guitars produced a replica but not sure how many pickups that has. Origional Vox pickups made by JMI ind. were basicaly Strat style bobbins/ 42awg/ alnico5 mags and square ended strat style covers.

Comment

My bad. It is a pentagonal shape (ergo a Phantom) with 3 pickups, a 5-way switch, Gibson-style tophat knobs, and a Bigsby. After poking around, I'm guessing that it is a replica by Phantom Guitars and not an original Vox. I don't have it here in front of me to positively I.D., but I suspect the pickup selector switch is a major clue.

Comment

5-way slide switch with an old tele style tophat knob would almost certainly be Phantom USA. They own the Phantom and Teardrop names these days not Vox. Vox used 3-way rotary selector switches like the knobs with short bars sticking out. If they needed more selection then another 3-way switch was added along side it.

Comment

Well that settles it. I guess I should contact Phantom for any needed info on wiring, then.

Comment

Sorry if it's not gonna be the real thing. We don't see them too often in the UK either but it still may be a good guitar and I hope it makes your lady some money.

Comment

Working...
                X