Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker guide suggests different gauge strings for different speaker wattage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker guide suggests different gauge strings for different speaker wattage ?

Scobro's Speaker Guide Is an interesting read , I'm wondering what different views the people of this forum have on some of the ideas presented, in particular the suggestion to "Match the speaker wattage to your guitar string size" .

Whaaat??? Really???

I think if you drive a small car (relatively speaking) that lower wattage speakers would be best. Unless you play through single coils. Then a mid wattage speaker is best. If you use humbuckers with heavy guage strings all bets are off. BTW, in a combo type amp that uses more than one speaker there is a distinct phase cancellation most prominent in the top end. So you should never use your guitars tone control with a multi speaker combo.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by Chuck H; 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I have carefully aged the strings on my shop guitar. After a year or so they get real mellow.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Lower wattage speakers are best used with thin strings. Low wattage speakers are darker and have shallow lows, which causes it to have an emphasis on the mid-range. When a speaker cannot reproduce the top highs and deep lows being sent into it, the speaker will squish and focus the sound into a narrower range. The effect is that the tone is thickened. Thin strings naturally produce a thin bright tone. When used through low wattage speakers, the brittle top highs are rolled off, the bass becomes fuller, and the tone is thickened
        Sounds like it could make sense, but it could be just that it sounds like it makes sense, but is in fact crap or not really whats happening? Then again there's the whole SRV thing with the heavy Strings. Didn't he use 15" speakers in a virbro verb.

I was under the impression that the higher wattage speaker, it would be perhaps a bit darker sounding. And small light speaker is brighter. What makes a speaker more or less hi -fi sounding? How do jensen neo's compare to alnico. Are some of the descriptions of speaker models fair or a bit sujective ?
        Last edited by walkman; 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I have actually found lower wattage speakes to have more top end.Maybe its just because they have less bass.The matching sting gauge to speaker wattage is a new one on me.
          But what do I know ?I don't even have my own webpage.

Comment

Hey Enzo, I have found that over the last few decades I have (carefully or otherwise) aged and that's made the biggest difference to my sound! Yes, I've actually gotten better with time. Don't know what to say about te string thingy - I like my guitars well played in and I like my strings young and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by cbass View Post
              But what do I know ?I don't even have my own webpage.
              You'd probably know a lot more than some of these others who do have a web-site....

-g

Comment

I don't have a web site either .....

i'm "old enough to repaint but young enough to sell"

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
                  You'd probably know a lot more than some of these others who do have a web-site....
                  Welcome back Gary. Good to see you're feeling better.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

My research has shown that I enjoy mushroom and pepperoni pizza along with 008 extra super slinky strings. If you like sausage pizza, you should probably use heavier strings.

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post

-g
                      Well I sure don't know as much as a lot of the guys here but i'm learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                        My research has shown that I enjoy mushroom and pepperoni pizza along with 008 extra super slinky strings. If you like sausage pizza, you should probably use heavier strings.
                        What do you use for anchovy with Canadian bacon?
                        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                          What do you use for anchovy with Canadian bacon?
                          A tuba
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've never changed string sizes either 9's or 10s never really thought about it . I'm more interested in speakers than strings, though maybe ( however unfounded it might be the idea of matching string size to speaker wattage) caught my attention. So perhaps its time for me to focus more attention on the strings rather than all the things that follow after them. Funny after trying to chase a sound and learn about amps, all this can take you away from playing....

Comment

Well, I've aged my soldering iron by leaving it plugged on non stop for about a year now.

*Every* amp on which I solder *something* with it takes a mellow, smokey, vintage sound.

Independent Lab research has shown, beyond any doubt, that the date written on those funny little control stickers glued inside goes back by one year per soldering.

One digital single_giant_chip_does_it_all monstrosity turned into a 5E3 (yes, the chip actually morphed into 2x6V6+ 2x12AX7) after the required 56 soldering points.

Another similar one stopped working altogether after 104 solderings, but that's normal .... there were no tubes before 1908 !!!!!!

Try it guys !!
                              It works!
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X