Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified 5F4 circuit

Hi,

I have just finished my first amp build (TAD 5E8A) and it turned out great. All the warnings turned out to be true and now I'm hooked. In case anybody is interested, here's the link: http://www.king-bees.com/TAD5E8A.htm. I guess I am pushing the "fast forward button" but next I would like to try a modified circuit from scratch. Here's my idea and I have a couple of questions:

The Low Power Twin is great but I "need" a tweed amp for smaller clubs that breaks up a little sooner at a more moderate volume. I was thinking about a 2x10" 30 Watts amp like the Super.

Question #1: Here comes the mod part: I don't need a presence control since I always have it turned to 0 (actually 1 since there is no 0 on tweed amps) and I would prefer T,M,B tone controlls like on a bassman. If I start with the Weber 5F4 schematic, can I just replace the part I circled red on this http://www.king-bees.com/5f4.jpg with the part I circled red on this http://www.king-bees.com/5f4.jpg? Would this work? And for going without the presence control ... can I just omit the part circled in green on the first schematic or should I use a fixed 5k resistor with the .1mF cap in series?

Question #2: I guess I can gather all the needed parts but I don't know a lot about trannies. What PT, OT and choke would you all suggest and where is a good place to buy those. A good place to shop for me would be this http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.p...27&language=en because I can save a lot on shipping and customs but I'm not sure if they have parts that would fit. I live in the EU so I need everything for 240 Volts!

Question #3: The only source for a 2x10 Soper Amp cab I have found so far is Weber. Are their cabs good quality or should I look somewhere else?

Many thanks in advance!

Herbert

Yes I think you can do it ... oops, I have done it!
    Nice job.

For the price you paid for that kit, having to drill the chassis for any reason is inexcusable in my honest opinion.
    Does the OT fit in the existing holes mounted 90 degrees to the way you mounted it.
    From what I know these are mostly MOJO tweed amp kits but thos trannys don't look exactly like all the MOJO trannys I've seen.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I guess I have to defend TAD ...

First thanks for your response!

I considered several methods of getting a high quality 5E8a Kit and TAD turned out to be the cheapest way. Ordering in the States is pretty expensive for me because shipping costs, taxes and custom make buying from TAD the cheapest solution. Drilling the holes is easy and no problem at all. I bought a TAD 12" Champ cab some time ago and used it for my Pro Junior. If it had the holes already drilled for the champ they wouldn't have fit. I'm glad they were not there.

The tranny holes did not fit, even if I mounted it the other way around. They must have been for a different tranny. I have worked a lot on Harley Davidsons in the past and minor hickups like these don't bother me at all. It was daily business. Making something fit is sometimes even more satisfying for me. And in the end it turned out to be a great amp.

Comment

i can certainly understand your enthusiasm and your desire to build another amp. but if you only need something a little smaller for playing smaller venues, it might be worth considering an attenuator. a couple of clicks on a good attenuator won't adversely effect your tone, and your life will be alot simpler than if you have multiple amps to deal with. of course, you might want to have a couple of amps to deal with, but imho the attenuator is still a very handy device for controlling a bigger amp in a moderate venue.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I'm not looking for the easiest way ...

... I'm looking for an excuse to build another amp )

I really like doing it and it doesn't hurt if it's one that I have a use for.

Comment

OK did the chassis come with all those trannys?
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the photos of your amp. That is beautiful workmanship!

Comment

I agree with Rickyd. That is one sweet looking amp. And I'll bet it sounds just as good.
                Clyde

Comment

Thanks for the nice words!

... of cousre there's always room for improvement but for a first build I'm pretty satisfied with myself )
                  Next time I'll try to line up the caps and resistors better and install an adjustable bias pot right away ...

Comment

Working...
                  X